Clock not working out of the box

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Like many of you, I like to fiddle with stuff.

I purchased the Triumph analog clock just because I like analog clocks.

Y'all may remember I posted a thread about wiring the clock to the harness, and did get that sorted with the help of my electrical engineer daughter.

Once plugged in, the illumination works fine, but the clock doesn't.

There are two dimpled buttons underneath, and pressing one, according to the instructions, causes the clock to move forward for setting, and pressing the other causes the clock to move backward.

All I get when pressing either button is some buzzing.

Pure speculation, but I'm guessing the clock sat on the shelf so many years, that the lubricant has aged, and the clock is just stuck.

Anyone have any experience with these they would care to share, and helpful suggestion for how to proceed ?

Thank you.

Paul,
I don't know what a "Triumph Analog Clock is, but I have had excellent luck with these:

That is an obvious question, without an obvious answer.

I'm guessing all these clocks were made a long time ago.

Unlike the nice chrome bits we can't get anymore, the clocks didn't sell. It was obvious when I opened the box on this one, it had been there a looooooooong time.

So, even if I return this one, I could just get the same thing back.

So if this is fixable, then I know what I have.

Ouch after all your buggering around on a supposedly brand new item. I have not seen one in the flesh but does the casing separate to access the clock inside?

If so I would open it and give the hands a slight nudge before and then after engaging the adjustment motor's buttons. If it is just dried lubricant locking it up that may be enough to free it. You could also direct a quick squirt of an electrical parts cleaning spray and then use a suitable fine oil.

Not sure what gearing, if any is fitted in the clock but often in odometers the plastic toothed gears can age and break causing a jam. This was common on my old BMW E28 M535i and you could dismantle them and fit new gears which an aftermarket guy used to have made in different sizes, teeth patterns and number. I did mine and it worked fine afterward.

Worse case scenario electric clocks are a cheap and commonly found item used to make novelty clocks and for hobby people to make their own wooden/ceramic dial/faces etc. You could possibly replace the guts with one of those keeping the original dial face and possibly the hands if you find one with the right diameter shafts

I guess it's NOS -- Hermey's is curious that way -- everything ever made is still listed on their web site, and you go through the motions -- adding the pannier dresser rails, adding the windshield pouch, adding the chrome oil tank, adding the analogue clock kit . . . and it duly adds everything and takes your money.

A few days later, an email shows up saying, "Pannier dresser rails, windshield pouch, chrome oil tank No Longer Available. Would you still like the clock (and oh by the way, we'll be refunding those items) ?

So who knows how many of these things are still sitting around ?

Ouch after all your buggering around on a supposedly brand new item. I have not seen one in the flesh but does the casing separate to access the clock inside?

If so I would open it and give the hands a slight nudge before and then after engaging the adjustment motor's buttons. If it is just dried lubricant locking it up that may be enough to free it. You could also direct a quick squirt of an electrical parts cleaning spray and then use a suitable fine oil.

Not sure what gearing, if any is fitted in the clock but often in odometers the plastic toothed gears can age and break causing a jam. This was common on my old BMW E28 M535i and you could dismantle them and fit new gears which an aftermarket guy used to have made in different sizes, teeth patterns and number. I did mine and it worked fine afterward.

Worse case scenario electric clocks are a cheap and commonly found item used to make novelty clocks and for hobby people to make their own wooden/ceramic dial/faces etc. You could possibly replace the guts with one of those keeping the original dial face and possibly the hands if you find one with the right diameter shafts

Clock is a sealed unit. I cut apart my old one to see why it died. My gears had worn out. Plastic dust all over inside. I think it's the handlebar vibration that kills them.

They are still listed for sale at quite a few Triumph dealers and I presume many still have old stock or can access it. If you bought it quite a while ago and have re-plugged it etc I doubt the dealer will replace for free.
World Of Triumph in the UK still have them.
£120.83
Triumph Analogue Clock Kit

acc_707_img1.jpg

Back