Clicking Noise in the Rear Wheel

IMG_0470.JPG IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0473.JPG As you can see it works rather well. IMG_0475.JPG and this works for installing.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMG_0470.JPG IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0473.JPG As you can see it works rather well. IMG_0475.JPG and this works for installing.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I got a blind puller set, but couldn't get enough force to free the bearing by banging the 3 lb weight out, as intended. I then unscrewed the puller shaft, flipped the wheel over and banged the back of the expansion bolt part of the "puller" system with a large socket on an extension. That didn't work either, even with a heat gun. I finally fired up a torch and got the surrounding rim pretty hot and it finally banged out. I effectively used the "puller" as a pusher, much like the homemade tool described by Gregger.

I tapped the new bearings in using the old ones to keep the pressure even most of the way. I was very careful to just snug the last bearing up to the spacer so that the spacer could move just a wee bit. I'm wondering if the bearings on the brake side that many report don't move until they come out, as mine did, are the result of someone driving that bearing in too tight against the spacer. We'll see the next time I remove the wheel, which with the way this Roadster eats rear tires on the twisty NC backroads, won't be too long.

Never had a problem removing bearings with the blind puller. I can only imagine that a worn bearing if left in the bike to long would pretty much get very warm (HOT) This would explain a lot of difficulties some folks have with pulling the bearings. The bearing installing tool I use works really well. No stress at all is placed on the new bearing in the wrong areas while installing.

Never had a problem removing bearings with the blind puller. I can only imagine that a worn bearing if left in the bike to long would pretty much get very warm (HOT) This would explain a lot of difficulties some folks have with pulling the bearings. The bearing installing tool I use works really well. No stress at all is placed on the new bearing in the wrong areas while installing.

Not complaining about getting the puller. I couldn't have removed them without it, even though I didn't use it quite as intended. Thanks again for recommending it. As far as having a worn bearing left in the bike too long- that could be a possibility. I don't know the history of that bearing, as I bought this bike less than a year ago, but I'll bet the ones I installed come out much more easily.

Which of the three rear bearings goes bad? Does one need or should replace them all? If a rim has been sitting a long time and the disc side bearing seems to be locked, can I install it and run it to unlock it?

Back