Cleaning carbon buildups

imcool

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3R 2022
hello, I am wondering if this carbon cleaning should be done after certain number of miles/km to prolong engine life and keep it at maximum efficiency?

Just an idea came up in my mind, I am not an expert about engines or stuff but I am being precautious and trying to do extra preventative maintenance.

Not sure there is a better answer than "absolutely no".

There is no good reason unless you are having some other issues and even then why you would want to do this I have no idea.

You are asking for trouble rather than preventing it. IMDO.
I aint no engine geek so I asked on forum here, Can you explain why shouldnt it be done? As carbon buildup is something which will be an issue in future for sure so why not keep it check now.

You posted in your post "I ain't no engine geek" after you asked "I am wondering if this carbon cleaning should be done after certain number of miles/km to prolong engine life and keep it at maximum efficiency" You got an answer but you didn't like it. The answer remains there is no good reason to do it.

Here's WHY my answer is "There is no good reason to do this work" and it's so when the next person sees this post and they say "Hey, I wonder if I need to tear apart my engine to see if I get another 1/2 hp more?", they DON'T wreck their bike for NO GOOD REASON. When as best as I can tell from owning 3 Rockets (with 100,000km +) there is no need, no justification, no reason whatsoever to do this. Other than you want to tinker around.

Alas, be sure to let us know how you make out with the work or what you end up riding next season when you pooch this.

Last edited:
OK gents, let's cool it? Modern fuel injection systems are lean burn and do not build up carbon deposits in the combustion chambers. You can pull apart an engine with 100,000 on it and there will be very little carbon in there. Certainly not enough to affect performance - or anything else.

So there's your explanation. And as TG says... definitely NO!

hello, I am wondering if this carbon cleaning should be done after certain number of miles/km to prolong engine life and keep it at maximum efficiency?

Just an idea came up in my mind, I am not an expert about engines or stuff but I am being precautious and trying to do extra preventative maintenance.
Good question. There are so many vendors trying to sell additives that are supposed to make your engine better, last longer, increase power, etc etc etc... it's hard to know what's good/bad. A lot of people think they are doing their engines good by adding the stuff but... I would agree with what the fellows have said and refrain from adding it. It's probably a good product but use it only if you know there is a carbon problem.

In my automotive days (1972 to 1980), we used to have the odd Oldsmobile equipped with a 350ci engine come to the shop with a severe knocking engine. Most of the time, with the Olds engine, the knock was carbon build up on the top of the piston. We used a GM product, I think it was called Kleens, for removing carbon. Start the engine, run to half throttle and pour approx. 1/2 the can into the carb between both banks without stalling the engine, then with the last of the can, pour it in quickly until the engine stalled. Worked like a charm. We'd let the stuff sit in the engine for an hour. On start up, it would spew out a big pile of black smoke. The knock would be gone. We had many happy customers who thought they were coming in for an engine rebuild and leave a hour later with one very cheap fix.

Recently my son ended up with a misfire on his 3.6l V6 in his Chev Colorado (70K kilometers on it). One of the exhaust valves had burnt (part of the valve literally melted). The dealer stated that the only way he felt this would happen was for a build up of carbon to take place on the valve stem preventing the valve from closing. This is one of those lean burning engines that you would never think needed any kind of carbon deposit control. Maybe this snake oil might have prevented the problem but... my crystal ball says if it ain't broke, don't play with it.

Back