Cleaning road tar off exhaust - 2020 Rocket 3 GT

vmaxjude

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Hi all. I have some nasty tar deposits on my exhaust that will not just wash off. I have some Valet Pro Citrus Tar & Glue Remover which I have used successfully on my cars. It said it is good for painted and hard surfaces, but is clearly a fairly aggressive product as it dissolves road tar. Anyone know if this would be safe to use on my exhaust, or can anyone recommend something more suitable available in the UK? Many thanks.

Last edited:
Ordinary white spirit (Turpentine substitute) on a soft cloth. Before running the engine, wash with a bit of soapy water and rinse.
I have also used the same on my car (painted) bodywork in very localised areas around the wheel arches, followed by a bit of wax polish just to get the protection back into the paintwork.
Works a treat, and it's not aggressive providing you don't rub too hard or use any abrasive cloth.

Last edited:
I found the Honda polish does a great job of dissolving the road tar as well, Doesn’t smear it as bad as mineral spirits, and I can still remember my name afterwards. I tried rubbing alcohol, acetone, and turpentine and all cases still left the residue but the Honda polish seemed to dissolve and lift it right off. Same with bug guts.

I can also recommend white spirit
I've used it to remove lots of different types of sticky stuff from various surfaces over the years
Including tar and glue left after stickers and tape have been peeled off
It's very effective and it definitely won't damage your exhaust

Goo gone
Better than acetone
Not goof off. Goo gone
I would steer well clear of acetone IMHO. If that stuff got on any painted surfaces or even any of the plastic trim, there could well be tears and regrets....Just thought I would shout that one out just in case someone out there has some to hand.

Last edited:
Hi all. I have some nasty tar deposits on my exhaust that will not just wash off. I have some Valet Pro Citrus Tar & Glue Remover which I have used successfully on my cars. It said it is good for painted and hard surfaces, but is clearly a fairly aggressive product as it dissolves road tar. Anyone know if this would be safe to use on my exhaust, or can anyone recommend something more suitable available in the UK? Many thanks.
Spray with cold oven cleaner...leave untouched for 24 hours. Wipe off. No abrasion, no scratches and really works!

Spray with cold oven cleaner...leave untouched for 24 hours. Wipe off. No abrasion, no scratches and really works!
Be extremely carefully doing that. Imo not worth the risk. It's oven cleaner. It's only design is to clean ceramic enamel.
I have had personal horror stories with that stuff.
It's tar... Any solvent will work on a rag.

Be extremely carefully doing that. Imo not worth the risk. It's oven cleaner. It's only design is to clean ceramic enamel.
I have had personal horror stories with that stuff.
It's tar... Any solvent will work on a rag.
Well...I've used it many times and just cover any painted surfaces with Saran Wrap, I'm not talking from theory but experience!

Back