Catalytic idea

Michael

.020 Over
Well, gentlemen, I've changed my mind since last thread, which I reread this morning and realized I must've been pretty tired when I wrote last night, as I spotted mistakes I normally would not have made. After sleeping on it, I decided to modify the system I have which is not on the bike. That is, I have a new, unused system from the headers back. And, after reading the thread from the guy (which I'll have to find) who drilled out his stock mufflers, I think I'll modify the cat for two discharge outlets, drill out the mufflers, change their angle from "splayed" to "tucked in", by modifying the hanger brackets and extending the cat discharge nipples, and buy a pair of the tapered tips in the Triumph accessory catalog. As long as the sound is acceptable, that will come the closest to giving me what I am after. At least, it should sound better than what it does now, which is something like an aquarium pump!!

Other site

Yes, I'll document the process in case someone wants to follow as well. I found Wilbur T's comment about how he performed the drilling, and in that thread he refers to another site in which is apparently "a lot more information" on how to drill the mufflers out. I think before I "ruin" a new exhaust system, I'd like as much info as I can get. If this works and I'm lucky, I'll wind up with a deep rumble and perhaps no new tunes. Maybe that's asking for too much. Do you know what other site he's referring to?

Best cat link

WOW!!! CAN'T BELIEVE THE LINK YOU GAVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!! Your comment "See if this answers your questions. . ." was an understatement to say the least!!! If I can't successfully modify this system with all THAT commentary, I don't deserve the modification anyway!! So, it's off to the shop to lose myself in metal shavings. . .after I spend a day or two brush-hogging on the farm. Thanks so for the information, next time you see the tour bus sitting in front of Engles, yell at me - I owe you a favor!!

Sorry I don't have it on file anywhere. When that site changed ownership I think it was removed. In my opinion drilled out stock pipes sound pretty rasp, that's why it hasn't been a very popular mod.

Last edited:
Back