Bike won't start . . .need ideas please

OMG.

I see you did take a new battery you must have posted that it was running as I was slowly typing my post.

Hope you can catch up with @DEcosse
And get it sorted.

That is generally true except for the initial run of Roadsters which had similar scheme to the classics- there was a recall to those to provide a key-switch bypass which if applicable may or not have been done ...

Just got a PM from @bdpq - it's an 09 so definitely could be suspect range for key-switch failure if the OEM bypass recall has not been done

* Is it really a Roadster? The initial Roadster was actually a '10 model although I'm not sure if the model year was actually introduced at the end of '09
Either way - late classic or (very) early Roadster still susceptible to the key-switch failure

Here is the scheme for the factory-style bypass single relay - Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems

You can tell if it has been done by checking behind the right side cover - the early 10's had two relays there (one of which is the turn signal module) - if mod had been done there would be a third

Last edited:
there's 5 relays on the bike. if you feel brave, you can unplug one at a time, and use a thin blade or small flat screwdriver to pry the case off of the relay, it's not hard. left side, right side, case cover comes off. if you see everything is looking good in there and the little arm moves freely, then the relay is probably good.

when I recently got mine back on the road after previous owner let it sit for years, I had 3 bad relays, they were just ate up in rust, the other 2 relays were still shiny and good.

the relays are under the side covers, 3 on left side, 2 on right.

you could test the relays electrically, but they can appear to be bad if you put the juice through it in the wrong direction. there's a diode inside which makes you have to hook it up right. easier to just open it and look.

Im not sure but I did send him a certain picture showing him hiw to bypass it and ride. Next time I get to town im going to get some goodies to make a better, longer use hotwire method so one can hook it up put the seat back on and be able to switch the bike off say if your in the middle of a long ride and don't want to or can't get it fixed. Someone had it set up that way I think from Ca. Wish I would have grabbed that picture. Or got it via a message :)

Back