hart24601

.020 Over
Hey all, I posted this at the .com too, but thought the more minds the better right?

I am looking for some ideas – I had my dealer send the head and ECU into carpenter racing for the 210+ package. I also had them put the triple KN filters on and install the staintune xover since I already had the TORS. I got the bike back and took it to the dyno. 162hp and 134ft/lb. Is that a bit low? The kit said 210+HP, now I understand I have the stock headers, but that’s really the only stock item left that would be different. I can see losing some HP to that, but not something like a 25% horsepower drop. Anyone have ideas on what might be happening? Maybe the dealer has something hooked up wrong? The a/f ratios looked good, pretty steady 13.1, also they put on a PCV.
Thanks!

The shop said that when they 1st installed it one of the cam gearings spun. They had to dissassemble everything and re degreed the cam, cost me some $$, but they did it for half rate labor. Think something there?

That does seem to make sense that there is something with the cam that is off. I don't know if this is normal for these kits, but I have to hold the rpm at 2000 and slip the clutch leaving stoplights or it will die, and below 3-3500 it is quite weak before coming on hard does that fit the cam having something wrong? Since the a/f ratio is good from carpenter would that also suggest the cam or would that be off too?

The ratio of hp/tq seems right on for a carp kit, but its missing 50ft/lb give or take!

My 2-cents worth?: I experienced exactly the same symptoms on my (former) Rocket after a local mechanic fitted aftermarket hi-comp pistons and so-called "hot" cams on mine. Ater much headbanging (pardon the pun!), it was found that the top cam gear (modified by the supplier on a parts exchange basis) to accomodate the camshafts had not been installed (degreed?) properly.

Jamie:cool:

Did you consider calling Carpenter's and running it past Wayne ?
Here they say he is renoun for his help ..

I don't understand why you payed for a slipped cam spocket rework job, don't the warrant their workmanship ?
Sorry but, I would have questioned that even at 50% labour discount..

Just a final thought if they tried to short cut, to cut down the labour time, then it could be possible they maybe misaligned the timing marks or its slipped again.. Hope you get it sorted..

JM2CW

I will talk to the shop and carp monday, it does seem most people think there is a cam problem, so we shall see. I am not blaming anyone at this point, just tying to get it sorted out.

Most likely the cams are not timed right. Your lucky they did not hit the valves when the did it wrong the first time.

My guess is your arse should hurt a Wee bit. They screwed up and charged you and it is still not right ?
After you get that sorted out you need to put a real pipe on her and take the TORS power choaker and headers off.

No doubt, your problems were caused by installers who were not up to the task. I won't get into what my (ex) dealer did that totally screwed up my, at-the-time, bone stock Rocket when it went in for the 10K mile valve svc, but hindsight is indeed 20/20. They completely bunged up my cam timing and they had three chances to get it right! I'm certain that knowing or suspecting what you know or surmise now, that you would have sent the bike to Carpenter Racing to have the work done and done properly in the first place.;)

WARNING: Given my extensive and painful experience with them, Trebour Cycle in Ledgewood, NJ (my ex-servicing dealership) has the wrenching skills of a rotted cadaver, the owner has a personality to match and their overall level of integrity is on par with Bernie Madoff's. My advice.... stay far away from those Bozos!!!:eek:

Back