Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully I can check it out over the weekend/early next week. The rocket community is a great one!

Having ridden both the Carpenter Racing drag bike at 270+ hp and another one of their beasts with the 240 kit, I opted for a variant with considerably less power. I am not a street racer, although I do like to fly low every now and then and/or get away from the innumerable zipperheads I encounter on the road before they can do me any harm.;)

Given that my former Triumph servicing dealership, Trebour Motorcycles in Ledgewood,NJ, thoroughly fouled up my R3 in conjunction with attempting to do the 10K mile valve check, and due to their incompetence (totally unable to get my cam timing right after 3 separate attempts) and repeated dishonesty, I had a machine that was down 20-25 hp. Therefore I had to find a competent shop to re-time and completely retune the bike. After many, many months of hemming and hawing with the service manager and owner to get my ride put right - to no avail, I had a dyno run done by an unimpeachable shop, I stuck that in Trebour's face and I threatened to sue them if they didn't refund every penny of what they had charged me for their more than unsatisfactory work. They did the smart thing and paid up. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy and I will never resort to using them again, even to order parts.:mad:

I have the beautiful looking and glorious sounding Mad Dog Exhaust on my 07' Standard. It does not provide much in the way of power gains, but I really like the balanced look, high build quality and that smooth, semi-guttural growl that it emits, so I opted to keep that rig... for now. Since I knew that the 240 kit delivers more than I was interested in and knowing that, down the road, if I wanted considerably more power, all I'd have to do was to add a Carpenter Brute Exhaust, I had Bob and his magical elves put in a cam kit along with some other small refinements. In essence, for a few bucks more than I would have spent to have my Mulberry Mistress properly timed and tuned, I got back a "new" machine, with great hp and plenty of torque. If (OK, more than likely, when) I add the free-flowing exhaust, I'll be putting even more to the rear wheel, which will be fine enough to keep me giggling and to keep or get away from the Bozos out there!:p

So, just what is the SJ2 package? It's the incremental upgrade kit that I had done and that allows me to say "Sweet Jesus", too!;)

Oh, by the way, the most common aka for Carpenter Racing's 240+ Kit is the "Holy ****" Kit because that is exactly what everybody who's ridden it says when they dismount from that beast after their first ride... professional drag racers included!:cool:

It would be interesting for someone here that has the Carpenter kit to ask Bob if he uses a different cam grind for the 210 HP kit vs the 240 kit. I just can't believe he would be using the same cam in both kits,,,,..

Please let us know what you find out. As a customer, he should give you the cam specs. I called him last year and as I was not ready to buy his kit right then, he would not even discuss the cam specs with me.

So before going wild tearing the bike apart or doing anything else I decided to get a different dyno run. I am a scientist and we love data, haha. Anywho this place gets the machine calibrated twice a year and does more sport bikes compared to the Harley dealer. What they found is HP in the low 170's and tq in the 140 region. Plus they saw it was running very rich (that makes sense as the carp setup is for freeflowing exhaust). Based on other members tuning info they have picked up around 8% increases with tuning and the % generally goes up with the more mods.

They also saw super rich a/f ratio in the 3k range, explaining the lack of performance there. I am taking it back in for tuning there Tuesday, but if that 8% mark is reasonable, and I think it is (the tuner agreed based off his previous tuning) that it would put HP in the high 180's low 190's and tq in the 150-160 range. Which was my goal with stock header and somewhat quiet tone.

So despite the hickup with cam timing, it looks like this might be sorted out. The real problem was the Harley dyno recording what they said was a great a/f ratio and perhaps poor dyno calibration/updates.

Since I have gotten flack about the exhaust I thought I would share my goals:
My goal starting out with this project: When I was looking for my new bike I considered diavel, vmax and the rocket III. I like the duc for the style and handling, the vmax for the power and the RIII for the combo of looks, performance and price. What really settled it was the insurance on the duc, 2,500 a year for me, I think the rocket is 300 a year, plus I fit on the rocket better. The vmax is interesting but I like the rocket’s looks better, plus I don’t have a decent dealer down here so it would be a pain to get one (special order) and I wanted to trade in my old zx14 (my wrists starting hurting on that bike) and that wouldn’t have been an option. I didn’t bother to look at insurance since it wasn’t a possibility. I did have an old style vmax and loved it, but that was years ago and they are outdated now for what I want.
So I got the rocket and love it, now with both the max and carbon duc right at 20k, I wanted to match the vmax horsepower for around 5 grand, since I bought my bike new on the road at 15k (minus trade in of course). I was also hoping to keep it stock looking since that would be different for me and give other riders a shock when we ride! I also didn’t want it to be too loud. I have had many loud bikes and cars and while fun, I like to ride to work or go out at night, there are enough bikes that make people mad being loud; I don’t need to help that image out at 6am or midnight. Plus my hearing is bad enough, I don’t want to chance that with loud pipes for 3-6hr rides.
With my 5 grand goal in mind:
200 TORS
1100 Shop (sending heads, assembly, KN filters and install, xover and tor install)
3460 Carp racing
550 staintune xover

Total is 5310, it would have been right at 5k if the cam gear didnt spin, but it happens. Most stock vmax dyno i see are 165-175 so it appears I got my goal, and the tq is waaaay ahead of the max. Plus when I get tired of the stock header and TOR's I can buy a new system and retune for that 210 horse.

Not a bad plan and you can always keep a look out for something used in pipes to start with. maybe up to Jardines if you find a good price on them. I loved the TORS look and held out quite a while on switching. but eventuall realized 3-1 was the best way for power and tuning. I do not thing the Carpenter pipe is loud with the baffel I have on it. without it Ya its loud and I love it except the Police around here won't so I baffeled it for just a little more then the first ticket would have been. Still has a 3 inch hole going thru the baffel so I do not think the power loss is much.. Of course it might be a little more on a NA engine. Anyway enjoy your ride that is if its idleing fine now. if not then something is not right yet.

Thanks! I will report back once the tune is done Wed. At 1500-2k it is almost 10:1!! at 3-4 it is below 12 before going up to the 12.5-12.8 range. This tuner said for the lower compression large engine bikes, harley and cruisers, on his setup the ideal range he as been getting is 13.7-13.9 range. (same as brocks zx14 pulls) Higher RPM compression ratio sport bikes on his dyno a litter richer than that for best power.

That should really clear up the low end and hopefully see some big gains.

Thanks! I will report back once the tune is done Wed. At 1500-2k it is almost 10:1!! at 3-4 it is below 12 before going up to the 12.5-12.8 range. This tuner said for the lower compression large engine bikes, harley and cruisers, on his setup the ideal range he as been getting is 13.7-13.9 range. (same as brocks zx14 pulls) Higher RPM compression ratio sport bikes on his dyno a litter richer than that for best power.

That should really clear up the low end and hopefully see some big gains.

lets hope so.
i did tors, triple k and n, cross over pipe, and tune and im sitting at 150/150.
id be calling carpenter racing and tell him whats going on and see what he says.
good luck with the tune and hopefully it clears up any issues.

Back