Yea you can jack up the psi, I like to run 2 psi below max rated on the tire sidewall and when it is warmed up I check it again and drop it down to 2 below max at hot. Seems to run fine.

Head

I went for a ride today, put about 100 miles on... Not much, but it was a nice lil ride anyway. Well, I wend down to a little lake just south of me. I had never been there before, but I had passed by it many times. I turn down a road where there is a park and a boat ramp for the lake, I get a couple of miles down and then the road just abruptly turns to dirt and loose gravel. I DO NOT like riding on gravel, and I've heard bad things about a car tire on gravel. I said **** it and went on down anyway. The gravel wasn't too bad at first, but after about a quarter mile, the gravel got thicker. Still not too bad. It rode best between 20 and 25 mph. Below 20, the ride was a little loose, I didn't get over 25. The biggest problem was that there was a bit of a slope on the road in some parts, and most notably in one curve. The bike wanted to follow the slope which caused me to wind up on the wrong side of the road. It was a fight to get back on the right side.

I can't really compare riding on dirt gravel with a car tire to riding with a motorcycle tire because I usually avoid riding on dirt. I don't intend on riding on dirt or gravel again, but who knows.

I would like to get a scrabler one day, it would have been much better for that ride.
There are alot of roads down around here that would be great for a scrambler or a dual purpose like a klr650 that I would just prefer not to ride my rocket on.

On a side note, I've had the car tire on for a couple of weeks now, and even though I haven't got to put alot of miles on, it is feeling really comforitable, I don't see any reason to ever switch back.

Boosted cold pressure to 42 and put on another 70 or so miles.. Feels more planted, doesn't skirm as much and I really like the traction, but I'm still not sold on this setup.. Perhaps a few more rides, but I think the next step is a run-flat that's slightly narrower.. Anybody want a used Triple Track?? :D
Funny thing is that it's not too bad on the twisties and I could get used to it, but I don't feel the ability to swerve safely on the highway..

A few years ago a buddy bought a used V-Max, it had a near worn out rear tire that was almost as flat in the middle as a car tire. I know that V-Max's don't like to turn and they have to be forcefully "held down" in curves, but that flat profile really made it a bear to steer. Is the Triumph as bad as that with a car tire or does the bikes weight make it better?

Boosted cold pressure to 42 and put on another 70 or so miles.. Feels more planted, doesn't skirm as much and I really like the traction, but I'm still not sold on this setup.. Perhaps a few more rides, but I think the next step is a run-flat that's slightly narrower.. Anybody want a used Triple Track?? :D
Funny thing is that it's not too bad on the twisties and I could get used to it, but I don't feel the ability to swerve safely on the highway..

the utqg rating is way to high, imo. a sub 300 compound is much better suited for motorcycle applications. I disdain any thing over 280 myself. they're too easy to 'break loose' for my tastes....

greg

A few riders in my club have Valkyries with a General Altimax HP c/t. They are sized at 205/60r16, 'v' rated. I don't know what the compound is, but all three of them love these tires on their bikes. They look great. They have a nice performance profile to them (rounded).

Tirerack.com lists them at $85 versus $113 for the GY Triple Tread.

Anyone else think this might be a good alternate tire for the R3T ?

I don't know how to determine if one 205/60-16 tire will fit better than another same size tire. Are there any differences ?

Just looking for options.

General Altimax HP

Last edited:
the utqg rating is way to high, imo. a sub 300 compound is much better suited for motorcycle applications. I disdain any thing over 280 myself. they're too easy to 'break loose' for my tastes....

greg
No prob with traction IMHO, the Triple Tread tire actually has softer durometer than the OEM POS..
I was quite comfortable pushing hard and not getting any slip (even on questionable NE road salt, grit etc.).. The issue is with the sidewall flex causing a "vague wandering" feeling in sweeping turns and severely limited responsiveness in high speed swerving techniques (very important to me).. I may be more demanding because of the way I ride, but as has been said, a car tire is not for everyone.. I'm just exploring the possibility..

The Wingers have done a lot of homework on the topic and the solution for my personal concerns seems to be a run flat. The most poular one is HERE.. Problem is that the readily avail size is 1" less in diameter which I was trying to avoid (approx 5% additional error in speedo to be corrected by TuneBoy)..

Last edited:
Back