I know when it comes to installing tires on cars you can go up a size with out a problem, as long as it does not come in contact with any part in the rear I don't see an issue but we have to consider a bike tire is rounded a car tire is flat the width I would worry about hitting the fender. some one has to try it first

Couple of things to think about (I'll be going with a CT soon too)

The recommended rim width for the sizes stated are a 5.5" rim.. The R3T is a 5" rim so the measured tire dimensions will not be the same as published..

Run flat tires are a great idea and should be considered, the size the Goldwingers are using is 195/55-16 and are about an inch smaller in diameter than our OEM tire..

Tire pressure is everything when it comes to handeling, from what I gather, lower pressure is recommended to maintain handeling and ride quality.. If you run 42# in a CT you will have issues..

Wider tires are not "better" and will adversly affect handeling.. The wider the tire, the more effort it'll need to get the bike to "turn in" and maintain a line through a curve...

I was thinking about a 205 because it would more closely match the OEM diameter and I wouldn't loose ground clearance.. I have a Tuneboy so I could always correct the speedo for any tire.. I'm leaning now towards the 195/55 run flat and will most likely be getting one in within the month..

Ok, bikes outta the shop. My dad picked it up for me because there's no way I could make it from work to the north side of atlanta after I got off work before they closed.

Moto 400 noted "customer had tire" did not note anything on the order about a car tire.

The check engine light was a sensor problem, they adjusted the sensor.

The tire looks great on the bike. A little wider, but not much. The mechanic told my dad that he had to make some minor adjustments to make the tire fit without rubbing, I don't know what he had to do.

Anyway, when I got it unloaded, I rode the bike around town a little, maybe 2 or 3 miles at most.
It was different. At the first couple of turns I had to put my feet down like a beginner, then I got used to it and it was okay. I went around 1 curve that had a 25mph speedlimit posted, I did it at 30 and it just felt too slow.

I went across several areas at low speeds with loose grave/pebbles and such and did not feel them at all. (others said they could feel everything on the road at low speeds)

Like I said, this was only a couple of miles, it is deffinently different, but nothing I can't get used to. I will let y'all know when I've got some more miles on it how it does. I'm thinking I may need to adjust the air pressure a little.

Used this tire it's a 205/60/16....

Tire Details - Discount Tire

It looks awesome on the bike.

I would like to know what he had to do to make it fit. He shouldn't have had to do anything. Maybe he was just saying it. If he did have to do anything, they didn't charge any extra, maybe he just went that extra mile, or maybe he just wants us to think he did, who knows.

I do like the mechanic though, he worked for Triumph of N. GA before they went out of business, I've had several dealings with him, always good. He actually told my dad that if we need a service or whatever, call him directly, and he would fit us in same day. The service manager wouldn't do that.

its good to have a great dealer that is willing to do whats is best. a 205/60/16 is a good size tire was it a normal tire or a performance tire with the price of that size a little getting used to would be worth the savings

according to goodyear, it rates a 10 on everything except for noise (rates an 8 on noise level).
That's what was posted at the dealership. Someone else with a R3T had already used this tire, and me and dave both decided to go the same way.
It has a speed rating of h, not v. Awesome tread pattern.
Like I said though, I will let y'all know how it rides later. Today's short ride wasn't enough. ****, we've had some good weather while the bike was in the shop.... now it's supposed to rain. Hopefully I'll be able to go for a pretty good ride sunday and let y'all know how it goes.

Back