Brand new Roadster didn't make it home

Tbone

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Roadster 2008 Not So Standard 2006 Carpenter
I thought I would share my experience that happened on my way home from purchasing a brand new R3R in 2014. I just purchased the beast and settled in to my 45 minute ride on the highway toward my home. The date was October 31, 2014(Halloween) and I was marveling at the torque I was experiencing from the rollons I was doing and reminisced about this being the second new bike purchase I have made on Halloween. The previous was a 1998 Buell S1W on October 31, 1998(that one made it home without a hitch). Anyhow I made it into my town, pulled off the highway and onto the main road headed toward my home. As the stoplight turned green I gassed it and thought it backfired through intake but no, it popped out of first gear so I hit second and continued on my way. At the next light I realized it would not go in first and had to leave from the light in second and a few minutes later I made it home with wifey waiting on me at the end of the driveway ready for a ride. I took her for a short ride with no first gear but I was totally bummed and dealer had already closed. The next morning I called dealer and explained the situation and they were there within an hour to haul away my new baby. ****! Anyhow, 3 weeks later they delivered another brand new baby to my house. That was the longest 3 weeks of my life! After they tore into the broken bike, they told me that there was a 3 dollar washer that was left out of the tranny and that bike was then used for training Triumph mechanics. Anyhow 3 plus years later with the new mistress and everything is still fine.

Last edited:
Riding (especially with a loved one) with a flaked transmission was foolish. Stuff like that can and has LOCKED UP :eek:while underway. Inconvenient in a car/truck, can be deadly on a bike. Glad you, your wife and your checkbook came away unscathed. :cool:

Riding (especially with a loved one) with a flaked transmission was foolish. Stuff like that can and has LOCKED UP :eek:while underway. Inconvenient in a car/truck, can be deadly on a bike. Glad you, your wife and your checkbook came away unscathed. :cool:
I guess doing wheelies and burnouts is foolish too. Yes I am a fool.

It was probably the rear washer on the helical gear of the output shaft. Then the shaft moves forward pushing the nose bearing a couple mm forward so the thrust washer drops. Seen this on bikes with a loose heilcal gear also do to improper torque on the nut.

I was doing 120 when mine decided 5th gear was a good time to be in 3rd and 4th all at once...

...@Tbone glad yours was under warranty and no harm to you and your lady :thumbsup:

I was doing 120 when mine decided 5th gear was a good time to be in 3rd and 4th all at once...

...@Tbone glad yours was under warranty and no harm to you and your lady :thumbsup:
Thanks mr hunt we only rode to end of my street at a top speed of 20 mph to show my buddy the new bike

Thats dodgy AF from Triumph , not a good way to instill product confidence in consumers , good to see they rectified the problem with a new bike.

Back