2016 Rocket III Roadster won’t turn over

Draigg

Standard Bore
Ride
2016 Rocket III ABS Roadster
OK, what have I done? I inadvertently left the key on for about 3-4 hours on my 2016 Rocket III Roadster. When I discovered my mistake the lights were still on, seemingly all was OK. However when I tried to turn over, nothing. I checked the fuses, all seem intact. I had the bike in neutral and the kickstand was up. I also attached a jumpstart battery pack that was fully charged to give it a boost. Still nothing. Kill switch is on and clutch engagedI. t doesn’t even seem like it’s trying to turn over. I’m no mechanic but I think I’ve done all the right things.

Anyone have an idea what’s going on?

Try pressing the button and wiggle it Hold button and ease out the clutch.

Charge the battery or replace it. Jumping may not work if a cell has gone bad. You can have the battery tested but if it's more than a couple years old I'd replace it just to be safe.

All is OK. It did take quite a long time to recharge the battery, though. That gives me pause about whether this battery is about to go or not. Just have to keep an eye on it. Batteries ain’t cheap these days!

All is OK. It did take quite a long time to recharge the battery, though. That gives me pause about whether this battery is about to go or not. Just have to keep an eye on it. Batteries ain’t cheap these days!
The amp draw on the Rocket's start sequence is a LOT (you'll find threads here talking about just the headlight on for a cold morning start was enough to make the battery go limp). If the battery is weak it might turn over but not have enough to fire the motor. I had a 81 XS1100 that croaked at a gas station in Emporia Kansas when I was returning home from New Mexico. I put the stations charger on it and cranked it fine but it wouldn't start, even though it was spinning plenty fast. Turned out the battery had a bad cell and what voltage wasn't spinning the starter was going into the battery, not the ignition circuit. Replaced that battery and it fired right up.

True. Just bought a Yuasa for my 07 Classic $152 + some change delivered and had to wait as not in stock. Can tell the difference from the old one as soon as I cranked the engine over.

Back