Roadster gear position sensor

Oldman68

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster Red Haze
Hi. I'm new to the forum after trying to source some info regarding the gear position sensor on my 2012 Rocket Roadster and came across what R-III-R Turbo had put up, having read this article I could not understand why Triumph has not put out a recall on this part as clearly there has been an issue and it seems that they have rectified it in production but came up with a bodge (repair kit) to solve the problem with the sensor giving false reading for Roadster already out there. If it wasn't for the taco mod that has to be carried out I was going to replace my sensor myself as this seemed fairly straight forward but to dismantle the taco and swap the wiring around to get over what is clearly a design issue is a joke. I contacted my Triumph dealer who is a major motorcycle dealer in the southwest of England and asked if they was a recall they stated no and stated that this would be classed as a normal repair and I would have to pay for it myself if they were to replace the sensor, I asked for a price twice now and they seem to have gone quite as they have not replied to my tel calls. There technician earlier in the year highlighted the fault when my Roadster was in for a value clearance check and stated after a Triumph health check was this needed replacing but I did not get it done as the bike seemed OK but twice recently the management light has come on and I got it checked and the code P0705 came up which is the sensor. So has anyone had there replaced by Triumph under warranty passed there 2 years period !

It won't be long and I'm sure Arthur will be along to share more of his knowledge. All my gps sensors have never failed. But they were the older type pre roadster :) even pre R3T release. So Art is much more versed on the differences. The myself. I can tell you Triumph pretty much want you to take the engine out the check air pressure in the tires. If there is a shortcut he's got the knowledge.

Thanks warp
Well you have 3 options to replace it really

1. Find a (superseded) 10-13 Roadster GPS unit (3 pin plug) somewhere so you can just replace the GPS itself and wait for it to go bad again
2. Replace the GPS (4 pin plug) along with the 'fly lead' adapter harness, and do the small wiring job on the tacho, and it's fixed forever
3. Replace the entire wiring loom (includes GPS) and clocks with 2013+ ones, and map the ECU with a 2013+ Roadster map, and it's fixed forever

The wire thing in the tacho is really simple to be fair.

Thanks warp
Well you have 3 options to replace it really

1. Find a (superseded) 10-13 Roadster GPS unit (3 pin plug) somewhere so you can just replace the GPS itself and wait for it to go bad again
2. Replace the GPS (4 pin plug) along with the 'fly lead' adapter harness, and do the small wiring job on the tacho, and it's fixed forever
3. Replace the entire wiring loom (includes GPS) and clocks with 2013+ ones, and map the ECU with a 2013+ Roadster map, and it's fixed forever

The wire thing in the tacho is really simple to be fair.

or take it off and try to clean it up

WELCOME! ...and hopefully you get it sorted without too much pain...
-MIG

or take it off and try to clean it up

I believe that works for the older 2.3 Rockets because the contacts are external on the GPS unit.
On the Roadsters etc they are inside the sealed unit so the contacts cannot be cleaned.
Plus the fault with the 10-13 Roadsters is an electrical prob.

I believe that works for the older 2.3 Rockets because the contacts are external on the GPS unit.
On the Roadsters etc they are inside the sealed unit so the contacts cannot be cleaned.
Plus the fault with the 10-13 Roadsters is an electrical prob.

My main gripe is why have Triumph not had a recall on this issue as it is clearly a design fault which has been corrected in production but have not done anything about earlier bike out there, I see in part of the Triumph document on how to replace this item and the mod to the taco and what Triumph clearly stated in that document is and I quote Failure to move the black/white wire in the taco may cause an incorrect operation of the neutral light which may lead to motorcycle control and an accident. Has anyone still have this Triumph document in full so It can download it if possible.

Back