Bevel Box Drain Bolt (ugh)

Rocketfrog

.020 Over
Ride
2011 R3T
Hey everyone. As the weather gets nicer over here in Ontario Canada, I started my maintenance checklist and got to the bevel box. Lo and behold, a few turns and a grinding sound and out came the top of the drain bolt. I can see the magnet sitting snugly in the hole, but it's so recessed I can't grab it to pull it out. I read another post where the rider tried to tap it to drill it out and ended up pushing it into the case (I don't want to do that). I'm thinking attach a rod to it with JB Weld, and hope I can turn it out or pull it? I'm also thinking of just throwing some silicone or JB in the hole, hoping it will hold the magnet there, and seal up the hole that way.

Any thoughts?

It is not going to take much to push that magnet inside the final drive and then it will be stuck to the ring gear.
You need to have the correct size screw driver or easy out to be able to move the magnet in about an 1/8 inch and be able to grab the outter piece of the bolt.
Maybe cut and grind off and easy out till it fits perfect.
Hth Herman

PS
I have a bolt that fits perfect if you would like for me to send it.
It will work as long as you want or until you get the magnetic bolt.

PS
I have a bolt that fits perfect if you would like for me to send it.
It will work as long as you want or until you get the magnetic bolt.
I'd love for you to send it. I'll send my details in a separate message. I'm terrified of pushing that magnet in too far, and not sure if there is any meat left on the bolt to actually grab. I have enough tools to build an army, but I can't see any purchase for a grab of that bolt, even with a very thin needle nose or screwdriver. Does the magnet pull straight out or is it threaded?

The magnet is not threaded therefore you could push it all the way to the inside of the final drive.
You are going to have to push it in a little so that your tool will grab the inside of the bolt so you can rotate the bolt and magnet out of the final drive.
Ps i am not real good at explaining
So ask all the questions you need to do the job correct.

if it broke the way mine did, i used a narrow chisel hit it lightly with a hammer to put a line in the piece, then i was able to remove it with a flat screw driver
That scares the crap out of me. If it ends up in the final drive, I'm screwed.

Back