R3T - Stripped bevel box drain plug.

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
With the help of a friend, he used a small, flat screwdriver under the head of the bolt to apply pressure, and I used a socket wrench and we were able to get the head and a little of the bolt our of the hole. The bolt was still in the hole. We were going to try a reverse drill bit to get it out. We used a fine pointed tap and a light hammer to try to put a dimple in the bolt so the drill bit would not walk. Upon tapping the bolt, it went into the bevel box. We used a paper clip to see if we could fish it out to no avail.

On the back of the differential there are 4 bolts. Has anyone tried taking the back of the differential off by removing these bolts? If we did this, woud we be able to see enough inside to be able to find and get out the piece of the bolt which went in there?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Staff member
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
@PaddyO I think if it were me, I'd be looking real hard at @TURBO200R4 's offer, shipping the unit to him, paying him a generous price for making a poor design right and never having to worry again.

Repair/improved final drive unit drain plug: $$

Peace of mind afterward: priceless

You and I have the same bikes.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
@PaddyO I think if it were me, I'd be looking real hard at @TURBO200R4 's offer, shipping the unit to him, paying him a generous price for making a poor design right and never having to worry again.

Repair/improved final drive unit drain plug: $$

Peace of mind afterward: priceless

You and I have the same bikes.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
The odds are that I will take @TURBO200R4 up on his offer. I am a stubborn Irishman and do not like to give up easily. Which often leads to other problems. (After all, I am Irish and Murphy and I are well acquainted.) If there is a way to do this myself, I would like to give it a try.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TURBO200R4

stand up straight and grab the world by the a$$
Ride
07 rocket III classic
the offer still stands until u start drilling

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
the offer still stands until u start drilling
We thought the bolt was still in the hole & the magnet had gone into the differential. We tried using an ezout but it did not appear to work. My friend is going to take the bolts out of the back to see if he can get the bolt/magnet out that way. I have ordered a differential/ swing arm assembly off eBay. I will take that differential & put it on the bike. If my friend can get the piece of the bolt out, we will drill/tap the hole and put a plug bolt in. I will either sell the differential/swing arm set or save as a backup. If he is not able to get the bolt out, would you be willing to see if you could fix it?

TURBO200R4

stand up straight and grab the world by the a$$
Ride
07 rocket III classic
We thought the bolt was still in the hole & the magnet had gone into the differential. We tried using an ezout but it did not appear to work. My friend is going to take the bolts out of the back to see if he can get the bolt/magnet out that way. I have ordered a differential/ swing arm assembly off eBay. I will take that differential & put it on the bike. If my friend can get the piece of the bolt out, we will drill/tap the hole and put a plug bolt in. I will either sell the differential/swing arm set or save as a backup. If he is not able to get the bolt out, would you be willing to see if you could fix it?
Should not be a problem getting the magnet or bolt out. If the threads r stripped then its going to take a expert to put a heli coil in that thin case. U could sent it to me or i can advise your friend.
Herman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of R3Owners. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker for R3Owners.Net.

I've Disabled AdBlock