R3T - Stripped bevel box drain plug.

With the help of a friend, he used a small, flat screwdriver under the head of the bolt to apply pressure, and I used a socket wrench and we were able to get the head and a little of the bolt our of the hole. The bolt was still in the hole. We were going to try a reverse drill bit to get it out. We used a fine pointed tap and a light hammer to try to put a dimple in the bolt so the drill bit would not walk. Upon tapping the bolt, it went into the bevel box. We used a paper clip to see if we could fish it out to no avail.

On the back of the differential there are 4 bolts. Has anyone tried taking the back of the differential off by removing these bolts? If we did this, woud we be able to see enough inside to be able to find and get out the piece of the bolt which went in there?

@PaddyO I think if it were me, I'd be looking real hard at @TURBO200R4 's offer, shipping the unit to him, paying him a generous price for making a poor design right and never having to worry again.

Repair/improved final drive unit drain plug: $$

Peace of mind afterward: priceless

You and I have the same bikes.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

@PaddyO I think if it were me, I'd be looking real hard at @TURBO200R4 's offer, shipping the unit to him, paying him a generous price for making a poor design right and never having to worry again.

Repair/improved final drive unit drain plug: $$

Peace of mind afterward: priceless

You and I have the same bikes.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

The odds are that I will take @TURBO200R4 up on his offer. I am a stubborn Irishman and do not like to give up easily. Which often leads to other problems. (After all, I am Irish and Murphy and I are well acquainted.) If there is a way to do this myself, I would like to give it a try.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

the offer still stands until u start drilling
We thought the bolt was still in the hole & the magnet had gone into the differential. We tried using an ezout but it did not appear to work. My friend is going to take the bolts out of the back to see if he can get the bolt/magnet out that way. I have ordered a differential/ swing arm assembly off eBay. I will take that differential & put it on the bike. If my friend can get the piece of the bolt out, we will drill/tap the hole and put a plug bolt in. I will either sell the differential/swing arm set or save as a backup. If he is not able to get the bolt out, would you be willing to see if you could fix it?

We thought the bolt was still in the hole & the magnet had gone into the differential. We tried using an ezout but it did not appear to work. My friend is going to take the bolts out of the back to see if he can get the bolt/magnet out that way. I have ordered a differential/ swing arm assembly off eBay. I will take that differential & put it on the bike. If my friend can get the piece of the bolt out, we will drill/tap the hole and put a plug bolt in. I will either sell the differential/swing arm set or save as a backup. If he is not able to get the bolt out, would you be willing to see if you could fix it?

Should not be a problem getting the magnet or bolt out. If the threads r stripped then its going to take a expert to put a heli coil in that thin case. U could sent it to me or i can advise your friend.
Herman

Should not be a problem getting the magnet or bolt out. If the threads r stripped then its going to take a expert to put a heli coil in that thin case. U could sent it to me or i can advise your friend.
Herman
In reply to an old thread, I'm just doing the very same thing now. Broke the drain bolt & tried fishing the magnet out of the filler hole only to frustrate myself. I now have the box laying on the floor & searching how to get the box apart. As I just purchased this bike, an '08, just a month ago I wanted to check if the driveshaft had been lubed when the previous owner had a new rear tire put on before the sale. Good thing I did as it was dry as a bone! I may come back here to explain how I got the box apart of if I was able to shake the magnet out of the filler hole.
BTW, these are not thin cases, plenty thick to get a time cert in.

I would say the first way to try is to take an air hammer with a flat chisel or hammer and flat chisel and try to remove the pinion assembly. It turns counterclockwise to remove. One came loose easy and the other i had to heat it up.
Once you remove that piece with all the tabs on it the pinion assy comes right out and that should giv you enough room to find the part that is on the inside.
When it goes back together it will be set to correct clearance once you thghten the collar.
Hth

I am assuming that the magnet is inside if so then you can look for it through the fill hole it may be stuck to the ring gear. Also if you rotate the pinion it might stop when it gets to the magnet then turn back to the fill hole.

Back