Best front/rear tire for rocket touring

What does a 180/50 have to do with your year and model???

The Ex Max 240 in the rear paired with the Michelin Commander II 140/75 in front is a hot set up with improved geometry, hence better handling. If you're concerned with it being a bit too "racy" for you, stick with a 150 up front. Either way you'll be better off than with the OEM set up.:thumbsup:
Phil....

Ordered the Michelin 140/75! Warp had my newb mind a little shell shocked when he started throwing those numbers. Your wisdom trumps that so I have the Ex Max 240 and Mich on the way from DK...Sorry if I seemed like I was doubting you brother. I am just a bit indecisive.

Tires down on the way....Hey Phil what do you think of those EBC double H pad setup? I might as well do the pads as long as they have the wheels off!

LMK....I am running the TriumPhil setup!

Ciao...Greg

Hey, Greg, not for nuthin', but Scott (Warp 9.9) has forgotten way more about mechanics than I'll ever know, however he's a straight line speed junky that predominantly pilots his Millenium Falcon through the cornfields of Illinois and not in the constant uphill, downhill extreme twisties that I frequent almost every time I ride.

The HH, sintered, EBC pads are the only ones I'd use. They are top notch!

I have tried the Metz, Avon Cobra's front & rear, Altimax (with Avon Cobra on the front) and I have now gone back to the Avons front & rear as in my opinion they are the best handling tyres for the bike.

I tried the Altimax for over 1k miles, played with pressures and rode it solo and two up, and I have to say I hated the way it handled but each to their own.
TRUE I dont care if the car tire lasts for 100,000 miles It destroys the handling and so why would I put up with that on my bikes ? I do whatever i can to improve the handling with shocks and different tire combinations and chassis setup and the tires i run last 10,000 miles + and I lube the splines anyway by removing the rear wheel so I do the splines and change the rear tire at the same time I will not run anything that screws up the handling ride etc Im not interested in using the cheapest tires I can find. I want the best handling combination as I can afford to run whatever works best for me

Hey, Greg, not for nuthin', but Scott (Warp 9.9) has forgotten way more about mechanics than I'll ever know, however he's a straight line speed junky that predominantly pilots his Millenium Falcon through the cornfields of Illinois and not in the constant uphill, downhill extreme twisties that I frequent almost every time I ride.

YES we run those roads its like a roller coaster ride and never a dull moment

Thanks Phil!

Tires will be here on the 19th and have and will def go with the Sintered HH EBC's!

To cap the trifecta so I can go look at my wife(rather fight ISIS actually)-any non exotic batteries you like besides the OEM Yuasa...The feeble batt the guy sold me the bike with (Cycletron II) barely cranks the Rocket and I am a lead acid guy as these LiFe exotics end up in the trash can if they fully discharge one time AFAIK....

Then I will leave you alone for a while! LOL.....

Thanks a million.

Cheers...Greg
YES we run those roads its like a roller coaster ride and never a dull moment

IMFASTTOO....

Thanks for the info! I am trying to "populate" a list of things for my mechanic to do/lube and tighten when he gets those wheels off....He is a great mechanic but does Wings and Harleys mostly. His son is rebuilding a wrecked R3 into a trike so I am sure he is aware but here in 1865 SC you have to be explicit about what you want done.

Have an awesome weekend guys!

Cheers...Greg

Thanks Phil!

Tires will be here on the 19th and have and will def go with the Sintered HH EBC's!

To cap the trifecta so I can go look at my wife(rather fight ISIS actually)-any non exotic batteries you like besides the OEM Yuasa...The feeble batt the guy sold me the bike with (Cycletron II) barely cranks the Rocket and I am a lead acid guy as these LiFe exotics end up in the trash can if they fully discharge one time AFAIK....

Then I will leave you alone for a while! LOL.....

Thanks a million.

Cheers...Greg

BTW...The Shorai Lithium for the R3 is 520CCA and costs $330-
LFX36L3-BS12 That's 4 Yuasas! Just saying......

IMFASTTOO....

Thanks for the info! I am trying to "populate" a list of things for my mechanic to do/lube and tighten when he gets those wheels off....He is a great mechanic but does Wings and Harleys mostly. His son is rebuilding a wrecked R3 into a trike so I am sure he is aware but here in 1865 SC you have to be explicit about what you want done.

Have an awesome weekend guys!

Cheers...Greg

I'm no expert, Greg, but Interstate sells a very decent product that I believe is simply a private-labelled version of the Yuasa, one of many, I believe. Therefore, I've chosen to stick with the mother company, which is a well known entity, or to its known derivatives that essentially slap their names onto a Yuasa AGM battery. Like I stated earlier, if you keep it on a Battery Tender Jr or an equivalent trickle charger, you should be good to go for 3-4 seasons, at least

I read the reviews on Amazon for that 500 CCA battery that was recommended to you and there were two or three instances of short-term failure reported. That's the type of info that keeps me away from third-party, no-name or re-branded battery lines because you simply don't know what you're getting, who actually manufactures any particular batteries of that ilk and what is the actual quality of the item.

Last edited:
Rocket III Touring tyre sizes are:
Front 150/80-R16
Rear 180/70-R16

Does anyone tried with Shinko 777 150/80-R16 in front and Shinko 890 180/70-R16 fro rear?

Back