Best front/rear tire for rocket touring

Now that I have my own lift and made my own lifting plate, I plan on removing my own tires for tire changes. I'll take them to a reliable dealer to have them changed out when I take them off. The Darkside sounds interesting from a longevity standpoint, but I would be reluctant to give them a try based on all the differing opinions. It's seems to be a love, hate, or what the hell are you thinking relationship with longevity being the big deciding factor.

I'm currently running the Brigestone Excedra Max on the rear of my R3T and I have been happy with its performance so far. I could have got 8K or 9K out of the Metz, but I swapped it out at 7K because I was heading out on a trip. Nobody seems to speak highly of the Metz in the rain, handling or wear.

I always keep in mind the speed and weight rating of the tires I plan to purchase. I'm getting ready to do my first swap out of the original Metzler on the front. Now I have to decide between another Bridgestone Excedra Max Radial or going with the Avon Cobra Radial which seem to be the choices most people like on the front. Aside from ride and handling, I'm looking for grip, grip and wet grip. If we get back on topic and as long as we are on the topic of tires for the R3T, what are your thoughts again on the front?

When it comes to tire prices, this place rocks for me. How they got a tire to my door in one day I'll never know. I found it tough to find a better price overall.

American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire

As @ mport said in his post Michelin Commander ll's front 130/90/ 16 works well and bike handles better ,I presently have more than 20,000 mi.on one and still going .Have new waiting to go on.

As @ mport said in his post Michelin Commander ll's front 130/90/ 16 works well and bike handles better ,I presently have more than 20,000 mi.on one and still going .Have new waiting to go on.

Interesting....since the stock tire is a 150/80/ VR16. I'll take a look if speed rating and weight rating are up to snuff.

Weight rating is good ,speed rating is H I believe the tires are produced for Harleys I don't ride much over 110 or so so not worried about speed rating.

mport, I bought the Michelin 130-70 and sent it back for the 130-90-16. The 70 looked way to low, the 90 was almost exact height of oem tire, I am very happy with it and am on my second one. I also bought a rear Michelin 150-90-15 for my royal star deluxe and picked up a screw after couple hundred miles which I had patched. I wanted to put dark side tire on the royal star but couldn't find one to fit.

I have the General Altimax hp that Macrider suggested and am very happy with it but they are hard to find now because they have been replaced with different General Altimax tire that doesn't have same tread pattern.

Back