Best front/rear tire for rocket touring

rocket51

.060 Over
Ride
09 Rocket Touring
I am going to get a car tire for my rear, I am thinking 205/60/16, when my Avon motorcycle tire wears out. Anyone like their particular rear car tire that they would like to recommend.

On my front I presently have the recommended Metzler 880, but I don't like the way it handles, the problem may be that it got cupped by previous owner having to little air in it. I can't tell that it looks cupped much,:confused: it looks like it is close to new but it does not not handle well in turns. The problem may be that I am not use to such a large front tire. My previous bikes had 130/70/18 tires on them. On my Stratoliner I put a rear Michelin Activa motorcycle tire on front. Goldwing trike riders used them and got 30,000 miles on them, it handled very well on the Strat. I am just wondering if anyone has put a rear tire on the front of a Rocket touring, also if anyone has suggestion for a front tire that they like.
Thanks for any suggestions.

tires

I have the General Altimax HP 205/60/16 car tire set at 34 psi.
It needed about 500 miles to break it in.
As for a front tire I am still on a Metzler 880 and it feels ok to me.

I too am looking at changing the front. I dont think your issue with the front is cupping. I have the Metz and it handles terribly! I always keep my pressure at 38 psi and check it faithfully. I particularly feel unstable when turning or leaning into sharp corners to the right.........I like the goldwing tire option though

mutt

I have the General Altimax HP 205/60/16 car tire set at 34 psi.
It needed about 500 miles to break it in.
As for a front tire I am still on a Metzler 880 and it feels ok to me.

I have the same rear as above with an Avon Cobra on the front. The Altimax has 6k miles on it and looks just like it did when I put it on. I run 36 psi in it and 41 psi on the front

I have tried the Metz, Avon Cobra's front & rear, Altimax (with Avon Cobra on the front) and I have now gone back to the Avons front & rear as in my opinion they are the best handling tyres for the bike.

I tried the Altimax for over 1k miles, played with pressures and rode it solo and two up, and I have to say I hated the way it handled but each to their own.

I have tried the Metz, Avon Cobra's front & rear, Altimax (with Avon Cobra on the front) and I have now gone back to the Avons front & rear as in my opinion they are the best handling tyres for the bike.

I tried the Altimax for over 1k miles, played with pressures and rode it solo and two up, and I have to say I hated the way it handled but each to their own.

Hmm, I rode the Dragon last year and was pushing the guy in front of me and when raining there is no tire superior to the altimax

Hmm, I rode the Dragon last year and was pushing the guy in front of me and when raining there is no tire superior to the altimax[/QUOTE

Like I said 'each to his own'. I've been riding all sorts of bikes for over 30 years and thought the R3T handled like a pile of **** on the Altimax especially two up.

But were you holding your head at the right angle? You must have done something wrong. :rolleyes:

Back