Battery Tender....sorry if this has been discussed, but:

accessory socket

Can you charge the battery by plugging the Battery Tender into the accessory socket? I can do that on my Tiger but I can't find any info on the Rocket. I'm asking because I understand that on newer BMW's you can't charge through the accessory socket.

FF- Yes you can. The power point is not switched. I have installed a regular size socket (not powerlet) and plug my battery tender Jr into it.

My battery tender is called ride the bike at least every other day and you do not need a battery tender. Have to run it is 70degrees today and I have to give my bike a charge.:D

You bastard! I rode it last week. Well, I found my Battery Tender Plus and now it's charged...I also had a loose connection. :cool:

I put mine on charge last night and she wouldn't start this morning.

I think that the stock batt size is just not enough for such a big engine.

Several Captains have installed an Odessy PC625 which has some more umph. I may have to go to it myself.

I had the same problem, but I realize now that it DID charge, but the cable was not well-connected. How long SHOULD a fully charged R3Touring battery hold the charge WITHOUT riding it or charging it (in the cold..I'm in DC)?????:cool:

Yuasa and Battery Tender both make good units. One charges @ 750 milliamps and the other @ 900. They work equally well IMO.

I found my Battery Tender Plus and I think it's a 12 volt 1.25 amp, which is very strong. How long do you think a fully charged battery should hold the charge (absent riding it or charging it). I'm wondering because it's a brand new bike, just a few months and just under 3,000 miles old....:cool:

Fish,

Battery Tender is a brand name. I've used them for years. My R3T lives on one whenever its parked in the garage.

It allows that big motor to turn over even in these brutal 40 degree mornings we've been having lately here.....

Thanks for the advice Harry. I just want to make sure my battery's not defective. You think it's NORMAL that it went dead in 20-30 degree weather when I rode it a good distance about a week ago? It's obviously brand new.:cool::cool:

LOL "brutal 40 degree mornings...." We haven't seen 32 as our high for 10 days now. My new R3T is on a battery tender in the Triumph dealer's showroom. I haven't been able to pice her up yet. :(

Bummer...where are you? Fish:cool:

..I'm putting this one (Odessy PC625) in my bike now..my stock battery is 2 years old and wouldn't start the bike in this cold weather even with the battery tender being left on over night..

..my Honda VTX stock battery is 2 years old and still going strong..probably get a few more years out of it, but I don't think these rocket batteries are much good for any more than a couple of years it seems..but then again, I'm sure it's a lot harder to turn these motors over than it is a V twin..Budman

Right on...my Honda Shadow ACE started right up, with a little effort, and I rode that one instead. I'm just wondering is this acceptable for a brand new bike?:cool:

Back