Battery Tender....sorry if this has been discussed, but:

Fishbein

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket III Touring 2014 (previously 2008)
Anyone recommend a particular battery tender for the R3Touring? Today is the first day I went to start my baby up and she wouldn't start!! I'm so bummed. I stupidly thought I could get away w/out a tender because I'm still riding her occasionally; I got away for 6 years without one (except in the very beginning) with my Honda Shadow ACE (which I ended up riding today...cold here in DC). Turns out I cannot. Will any due, or do I need a special one because the battery is so large? I assume she won't start even when it warms up because it seems the charge is almost all gone. Fish 8) :cool:

I put mine on charge last night and she wouldn't start this morning.

I think that the stock batt size is just not enough for such a big engine.

Several Captains have installed an Odessy PC625 which has some more umph. I may have to go to it myself.

Yuasa and Battery Tender both make good units. One charges @ 750 milliamps and the other @ 900. They work equally well IMO.

Fish,

Battery Tender is a brand name. I've used them for years. My R3T lives on one whenever its parked in the garage.

It allows that big motor to turn over even in these brutal 40 degree mornings we've been having lately here.....

Fish,

Battery Tender is a brand name. I've used them for years. My R3T lives on one whenever its parked in the garage.

It allows that big motor to turn over even in these brutal 40 degree mornings we've been having lately here.....

LOL "brutal 40 degree mornings...." We haven't seen 32 as our high for 10 days now. My new R3T is on a battery tender in the Triumph dealer's showroom. I haven't been able to pice her up yet. :(

..I'm putting this one (Odessy PC625) in my bike now..my stock battery is 2 years old and wouldn't start the bike in this cold weather even with the battery tender being left on over night..

..my Honda VTX stock battery is 2 years old and still going strong..probably get a few more years out of it, but I don't think these rocket batteries are much good for any more than a couple of years it seems..but then again, I'm sure it's a lot harder to turn these motors over than it is a V twin..Budman

I have been using the Battery Tender Plus for several years on bikes from KTM race bikes, to my Triumph Tiger, to my Arctic Cat ATV and now my Rocket 3. Love it.

I'm using the Harley Davidson intelligent trickle charger. It came with my Ultra (which I no longer own). Charges when needed and shuts off when not. Worked great on the HD and works as well on my R3T.

You attach the required cable to the battery - the same one that can power heated vests - which you can keep tucked under the seat. I plug my bike in every time I park it in the garage, a habit I got into with the Harley because the security system was always on. It's probably not necessary with the R3T, but it doesn't hurt. Might even make the battery last longer.

My battery tender is called ride the bike at least every other day and you do not need a battery tender. Have to run it is 70degrees today and I have to give my bike a charge.:D
That's funny, real funny:cool: As I recall I too never had bike starting issues when I was stationed at Eglin. However, here in the Heart of Dixie, I'm now at the point of putting a third battery in my beast. The first replacement is a 310CCA, a bit above stock. The Odessy PC625 should be a perfect fit and with 480CCA I hope it will out live me. Now if Santa will let go of her spare change I'll be good to go.

Back