sancov

.020 Over
Ride
rocket111 tourer
hi everyone, i am thinking of putting a lithium battery on my R3T, is there anything i need to do to the bikes electrics or will it be o.k. or should i just put a new YTX20L-BS on ,the present battery is loosing it's charge if i don't ride the bike for a few days . thanks

I don't have any actual experience of fitting a lithium battery on a vehicle, but I have read that one of the important things to factor into using one is that of making sure that you have a compatible battery charger for when you need to maintain the charge.
Regarding the matching of one to the bike, I would imagine that as long as the voltage is 12 volt and the amperage is very close or the same as the current battery you should be fine.

If you get one it would be interesting to see what you think about it. Bike start easier, how long it will last. The weight savings never hurts. Cost vs regular battery. I usually buy a battery and change it out every 4 years, I always keep my bikes on a battery tender.

ok now you got me looking and next battery for my zx14 I will go lithium. Possibly for the rocket also. You say your battery is losing its charge, is it old? Do you keep your bike on a battery tender?

I did enquire about one for my Harley-Davidson XR1200 about 5 years ago at my local battery supplier. They sell every kind of battery for every kind of vehicle and they have a pretty good technical support to back up the supply side of the business.

Their comments to me was that they have made a strategic decision not to sell the lithium type battery for vehicles, not because they won't do the job but that they didn't think that they were reliable enough compared to the conventional lead acid/gel battery and because they are more expensive they didn't see it made financial sense for them to sell them with the warranty that came with the battery.
I decided at that point to sit on the fence for a while to find out from others who had taken the plunge and fitted them and were using them for a period.
I actually (at that time) didn't get very far because there didn't seem to be any in my biking fraternity using them. Bottom line is that I stopped asking and focussed on other stuff. If they had been cheaper I would have tested one out for sure, but only to take advantage of the weight saving.

Fitted Anti gravity to my Stage 3 TTS Supercharged Rocket after the last battery gave up the ghost ,this one spins the rocket over like an electric drill ( does have upgraded starter motor and leads as well) kept on an Optimate lithium tender ,no problems yet .

Attachments

• rocket battery.jpg
    rocket battery.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 28
Put one in all my bikes. Just did my 23 Rocket 3 last month. Love the weight savings. Never a problem with the cold. When its to cold out, im not riding anyways. Its been between 8 and 25 degrees here for weeks. I just turn on ignition, let it sit 30 or so seconds then it fires right up.
When its warm out, above 32 degrees, just fire it up with no 30 second wait.
Between the lithium battery, cat removal and license plate relocation I have removed 35 lbs off the bike, thats after installing the battery and new exhaust. Not a bad weight savings.

Back