Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
My 2015 Rocket that I bought last fall came almost stock. A throttle lock was it. I put A RamAir on. During the removal of the stock air filter and Duct I got a idea. The chamber that used to hold the air filter could hold the size battery my ATV battery. The battery that came with the cycle was 270 cca. This wouldn’t start the Rocket on a cold morning. Since I already have a spare battery for the 4 wheeler, I slipped it in the air filter case. I made a couple of #10 wire connectors, and now both batteries are installed as one. The trial under conditions worked perfectly. 28 degrees and the Rocket started fine. I’m sure this isn’t the first time this combination has been made. Any ideas?

Interesting... first I've heard of this. I run a 310CCA, but admittedly I've lived in relatively warm areas for the past several years. It will be interesting to hear if others have done this as well.
-MIG

i installed an isolator when i ran 2 batteries.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 22
Ive run two batteries. I used a seperator that would ipen when primary battery was charged allowing second battery to charge. I went away from that though. @warp9.9 runs 2 batteries one is 10 years old.
20180401_173440.jpg

Not sure about needing a isolator but yes I've been running two batteries since 2010 the only one that wears out is the lead acid batteries. I do use a charger 3 or 4 times a year not battery tender crap.

My 2015 Rocket that I bought last fall came almost stock. A throttle lock was it. I put A RamAir on. During the removal of the stock air filter and Duct I got a idea. The chamber that used to hold the air filter could hold the size battery my ATV battery. The battery that came with the cycle was 270 cca. This wouldn’t start the Rocket on a cold morning. Since I already have a spare battery for the 4 wheeler, I slipped it in the air filter case. I made a couple of #10 wire connectors, and now both batteries are installed as one. The trial under conditions worked perfectly. 28 degrees and the Rocket started fine. I’m sure this isn’t the first time this combination has been made. Any ideas?
10 gauge wire seem to be awful light.

10 gauge wire seem to be awful light.
The amp rating for continuous amperage draw is 30. I’m not even 12” long, so no loss from that. My chargers don’t go above 30 amp. The only possible issue would be a direct jump start. The obvious hookup would be the original cycle battery. Yes, I thought about the use of 10 wire. Also, I don’t stock terminal connectors for heavier garage than 10 ! I will have to spend money to buy the larger connectors. Using the idea of bigger wire, all the pigtails on my toys carry 15 amp inline fuses. Logic in that?

Estimated amp draw when u hit the starter is about 140 amps
Does that mean u get 110 from one batt 30 from the other?
What would happen if u had to crank for a while?
edit
They have an amp gauge to check starters goes from 0 to 600.
U might put one of those on the small wires.

Last edited:
I did the same on my 2015 Roadster using an Odyssey PC545 with heavy (unlabeled but about 6 gauge) lawn tractor cables. The battery sits on a foam cushion. I extended the stock 12 gauge battery charging wire to the Odyssey's positive terminal. This ensures both batteries receive the same charging amps. Big improvement in cold weather cranking speed. I had already installed double positive and ground cables for the starter motor but that wasn't enough.
IMG_0546.JPG

When I had a rocket 3 touring...I ran a single cable from the +ve to under the side cover. Then put on a rubber end. When I had issues starting, I connected a small lithium jump starter to the +ve cable and the -ve clamp to the engine. Even the smallest lithium boosters push 500amps for a few seconds. Worked like a charm.

Back