Anyone know how to lift the tank?

Hey if you don’t get it

82nd ft Campbell our local hero’s, hey if you don’t get the plug I’ll take pictures, no tools or rough housing on that plug needed, just let me know if you want a picture of that tab

Thanks again Kevin. I'll let you know in the morning

Hey Nav,

I've learned a new trick a couple of days ago.
I got tired of losing my trip info when unplugging the instrument cluster, so last time I lifted the tank, I just didn't unplug it.

Remove the three screws lift the cluster and move it back, you can get access to the two fasteners holding the tank on. They are just rearward of the ignition. They are Torx so you'll need a bit. I don't remember the size.
I used a small ratchet with a 1/4 drive to break them loose, then went through the ignition hole in the cluster with a pick up claw like the one below; grabbed the head and loosened the rest of the way out. Be sure to hold onto the washer to keep it from falling.

My tank bib kept the cluster from scratching the tank but I still put one screw back in to keep it from moving around while the tank was up.

If you still want to unplug the cluster, the rubber boot will pull back and make it easier to locate the locking tab.

Got it all done today with a good friend who is an AA&P mechanic and we did have our moments. Lifting a Touring tank is definitely more of a process than a Standard, Classic or Roadster but once done is not a big deal.

All is back together and the radiator fan works as it should. I very much appreciate the help and suggestions from forum members.

Got it all done today with a good friend who is an AA&P mechanic and we did have our moments. Lifting a Touring tank is definitely more of a process than a Standard, Classic or Roadster but once done is not a big deal.

All is back together and the radiator fan works as it should. I very much appreciate the help and suggestions from forum members.
Ride it like you stole it mike, thanks again for your life of service and something I learned today from Michael g, chive on

When I lift the tank of my R3T, I take out the 3 bolts which hold the console on (5 mm hex head), move the console to the right or left and unscrew the visible bolt. I replaced the torx head bolts with 5 mm hex head bolts. Move the console to the other side and remove the other bolt. I leave the console connected to connector. I then remove the 8 mm bolt holding the bear claw on and pull it forward to remove it. Slide the console down on the tank enough to clear the ignition switch, lift the tank from the brake side, take the rod under the brake side of the tank, place one end in one of the holes for the bolts which hold the tank down, and place the rubber end of the rod into the hole through which the bolts go. Slide the console into it’s normal position on the tank and it will stay there just fine. Be careful of the rubber gasket on the bottom of the console. If it come off, it can be a pain to get lined up and back on. Reverse process when finished.

I was wondering if I could have just left the console connected. Will try it next time.

On the Torx head bolts I commented to the friend helping me that it was an idiot decision by Triumph to put torx heads on a bike that ad mostly allen head bolts for accessing components. I'm going to replace the torx shortly.

And thank you Kevin.

I was wondering if I could have just left the console connected. Will try it next time.

On the Torx head bolts I commented to the friend helping me that it was an idiot decision by Triumph to put torx heads on a bike that ad mostly allen head bolts for accessing components. I'm going to replace the torx shortly.

And thank you Kevin.
No problem mike, like I said they’re are people on here who know what’s going on with these bikes, I’m not one of them I just have raised the tank before, but if you have a question just ask and it will get answered by someone, when I use to move service people up your way I really enjoyed the views, beautiful country. Take care mike and don’t forget ( ride it like you stole it) it’s a rocket that’s just what they do

Back