Anyone know how to lift the tank?

Nateskate

.040 Over
Hi Guys,

I want to install my light kit. The instructions call for lifting the fuel tank. I checked the dealer's shop manual but it only has instructions for a R3, not the touring model. Does anyone know how to lift the tank?

Also, can the R3 be safely lifted using a motorcycle jack under the engine or will it damage the bike?

Thanks for the help.

Remove the 3 screws securing the instrument housing. Carefully lift it up and remove the plug for the instruments. Remove the two screws holding the tank down (forward of and beneath the instrument housing. Remove seat. Remove Bearclaw (one screw and pull forward. Remove prop wand from right side frame rail. Lift tank and secure on prop wand.

Can't help with lifting the bike.

lifting the bike

You can lift the bike directly under the engine with most bike jacks. The problem is that it only lifts the front wheel off the floor. Some tie the front end down some how and then the rear comes up. What I do is attach a ratchet strap to the luggage rack and use it to lift the back end off the ground. It works for me.
Dave
06 Classic R&W

You can lift the bike directly under the engine with most bike jacks. The problem is that it only lifts the front wheel off the floor. Some tie the front end down some how and then the rear comes up. What I do is attach a ratchet strap to the luggage rack and use it to lift the back end off the ground. It works for me.
Dave
06 Classic R&W

He's got the new R3T.

The way I lift mine is I put a short nylon web machinery choker under the upper triple crown and a longer one between the shocks and the tins. Then I hook both to a fabricated spreader I made up and I lift the whole shebang with the overhead hoist. That's how I will take the forks off. Suspend the whole bike at face level. Makes it a lot easier to work on. Makes it lots easier to clean the waffle iron sump plate and around the filter too....especially after Jack reamed me for the 'filth'.:D

Seroiusly, a motorcycle lift works just fine, lifting on the sump plate. The engine is a stressed member so it's plenty strong.

Thanks gentlemen. I can handle the simple stuff and like to work on my own bike. However, sometimes I get into trouble. When I changed oil for the first time on my FJR, I used a torque wrench to secure the oil plug. Unfortunately the specs called for more foot pounds than the oil pan could withstand. I had to haul it to work, (Chevy dealership) and face the embarrassment of asking one of my techs to fix it. Arg...

Just found this very old thread after going through my shop manual, trying unsuccessfully to find instructions on lifting the Touring fuel tank.

I assumed the instrument console had to come off but stopped when I saw the sealed wiring plug on the underside of it. I intend to lift the tank today to find the radiator fan power connector. I've removed both of the forward neck covers and it's not there.

Edit: Just found the procedure on page 11.125 of the shop manual,

Last edited:
And you can find the manual in my signature, including R3T supplement.

Thanks Ian, I have a hard copy. Unlike many shop manuals, it doesn't have a proper index so it takes a bit more time to find what one is looking for.

@Navigator first the seat has to be removed the the bezel w/ speedo safer to unplug the harness next can not remember if it is 1 or2 bolts at the front of tank lift and insert the tank prop.

Back