Anyone know how to lift the tank?

Just found this very old thread after going through my shop manual, trying unsuccessfully to find instructions on lifting the Touring fuel tank.

I assumed the instrument console had to come off but stopped when I saw the sealed wiring plug on the underside of it. I intend to lift the tank today to find the radiator fan power connector. I've removed both of the forward neck covers and it's not there.

Edit: Just found the procedure on page 11.125 of the shop manual,
sorry cant help myself no matter how hard I tried/a full tank of gas and a match or two ought to raise it just fine

Well I won't try the match and gas method but I'm getting there. I've got the bear claw removed and the instrument housing screws out. Getting that boot off of the plug was a real chore with my arthritic old hands. I finally got it pulled down and can't get the connector out. I assume it has some release points but I can't feel any and can't see the darn thing. Most wiring harness connectors have them that ya squeeze to release the connectors but I'll be darned if I can feel any on the connector. The last thing I want to do is damage it by forcing it away from the instrument cluster. Is there a trick to pulling the connector plug?

Lifting or even pulling the fuel tank on my 07 Classic was a breeze but these Tourings are a bit of a chore.

Well I won't try the match and gas method but I'm getting there. I've got the bear claw removed and the instrument housing screws out. Getting that boot off of the plug was a real chore with my arthritic old hands. I finally got it pulled down and can't get the connector out. I assume it has some release points but I can't feel any and can't see the darn thing. Most wiring harness connectors have them that ya squeeze to release the connectors but I'll be darned if I can feel any on the connector. The last thing I want to do is damage it by forcing it away from the instrument cluster. Is there a trick to pulling the connector plug?

Lifting or even pulling the fuel tank on my 07 Classic was a breeze but these Tourings are a bit of a chore.
Just push the tab and pull

Hey just saw the usn thanks man

Hey just saw the usn thanks man

Well thank you Kevin. About 35 years of it, 1967-2003. My son is an Army Lt Colonel and daughter the same in the Air Force. My son-in-law is an Army CW5 Apache pilot.

On the tab, that's what I'm fuzzy about. Where is the tab? I can't feel any kind of release tab. I'll probably have to get a mirror under it in the morning.

Well thank you Kevin. About 35 years of it, 1967-2003. My son is an Army Lt Colonel and daughter the same in the Air Force. My son-in-law is an Army CW5 Apache pilot.

On the tab, that's what I'm fuzzy about. Where is the tab? I can't feel any kind of release tab. I'll probably have to get a mirror under it in the morning.
In the middle of the plug on an edge there is a little tab, push it in with your thumb and pull, dad marine 50s Paris island, son marine and in tn guard lt, son army Fairbanks ak helicopter mechanic oohrah

In the middle of the plug on an edge there is a little tab, push it in with your thumb and pull, dad marine 50s Paris island, son marine and in tn guard lt, son army Fairbanks ak helicopter mechanic oohrah
35 years of service, man if I was up there I would come do it for you, so grateful

Thanks much. I'll give it another try in the AM

Parris Island was one tough place. Good to know about your sons. I served with the Marines for two years as a Lieutenant. I was prior enlisted. When my son enlisted in the Army I got a lot of gas from my old Marine CO and the Senior NCOs who know him back when Eric was 10 years old. ARMY? WTF! He wanted to jump out of airplanes though so was assigned to the 82nd Airborne after boot camp and jump school. Army sent him to college and he got a commission.

Lots of memories.

Hey if you don’t get it
Thanks much. I'll give it another try in the AM

Parris Island was one tough place. Good to know about your sons. I served with the Marines for two years as a Lieutenant. I was prior enlisted. When my son enlisted in the Army I got a lot of gas from my old Marine CO and the Senior NCOs who know him back when Eric was 10 years old. ARMY? WTF! He wanted to jump out of airplanes though so was assigned to the 82nd Airborne after boot camp and jump school. Army sent him to college and he got a commission.

Lots of memories.
82nd ft Campbell our local hero’s, hey if you don’t get the plug I’ll take pictures, no tools or rough housing on that plug needed, just let me know if you want a picture of that tab

Back