Am I going nuts? (Trailer + R3)

RobWhi

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
I know I am nuts as I have the medical certificate that states I am but I cannot
believe that I am thinking about towing a trailer behind my Rocket
On my round Australia trip.
Over my 44 years I always had road sport bikes fairing ,naked and dirt bikes buying a cruiser style
Bike was never on my radar but when I took a friend to buy a bike who
wanted a Harley to the triumph dealer . I couldn’t help myself after seeing the Rocket
on the showroom I also brought herhome

What is the MaXimum weight you can tow with the R3?

Has any one towed a trailer behind the rocket if so how does it feel?

Remember that it's not what you can tow, but what can you safely stop. We had a member @STRIPES, who doesn't seem to stop by anymore, but he was known to tow lots.

10525860_10203929906944838_67572240821262724_n.jpg

As long as you keep the tongue weight low (I don’t know the limit on the mounting bolts so others will have to chime in) it should work in theory. The real challenge will be the cross winds with that broad side. Most bikes tow pop-up campers instead of the larger campers for this reason.

@Tripps , what is the dimensions of the Cargomate you tow behind the bike? That is a stout trailer.

I think about 4' by 3' by 16-18" tall, it's up in NY, so I can't measure it, I'm on my phone now, I might have a picture on my laptop in the house. It's older, I want to say a cargomate 200 model, not positive.

@Tripps Ah, that is a nice trailer. I almost bought one of those this past season. No where to store though, so that will have to wait. I thought you were referring to the Cargomate utility trailers; typically toy haulers and I was trying to envision how that is possible.

@RobWhi, That trailer @Tripps shows is more in line with what the motorcycle can typically pull for long distances. The low side profile makes it safer when going down the highway and through the curves.

I must be a little wacky too.

I have been researching this topic lately as well as the used Class AorC Toy Hauler, Class AorC w/trailer, Dually Truck with 5th Wheel Toy Hauler, Pickup with Rampage Power Lift to haul bike and a tow camper options are expensive.

Here are the R3 Hitch options I see out there for my 2005 R3 Standard:

1. Custom Cruiser Chrome - Canada US$351 delivered to NY
Triumph trailer hitches
+ lower profile - mostly hidden away
+ chromed
+ a little cheaper than HitchDoc
+ Our hitches are designed to pull a 600 pound trailer with a 60 pound (27kg) tongue weight.
HOWEVER, A 600 POUND (272kg) TRAILER IS MUCH HEAVIER THAN A MOTORCYCLE CAN SAFELY PULL.
The biggest problem is trying to stop the extra weight.
- Basically one piece - either remove or raise bike WAY up to remove rear tire, same with most though.

Please let me know if anyone has one of these available or can ship for less than $76!!

customcruiserchrome2.jpg

2. HitchDoc 15995 Chrome Trailer Hitch US$386 delivered
https://www.hitchdoc.com/motorcycle-hitch-technical-info.php

- looks like it should be stronger
- too much chrome, overpowers rear fender (perfectly fine with saddle bags)
- I would need to relocate my blinkers.
- ALL HitchDoc motorcycle trailer hitches have a MAXIMUM
tongue weight load of 40 pounds (18kg) Tongue weight must NEVER EXCEED 10% of the GROSS TRAILER weight including ALL CONTENTS AND CARGO = 400lb (181kg) max towing capacity.

HitchDoc.jpg
Truimph9.jpg

3. Classic Industries Australia Classic Industries :: Features of Hitches and Towbars for motorcyles, scooters and motorbikes - $421 delivered
++ best price - includes ball and wiring I believe
+ hidden or low profile
+ a few different configurations (year. bags, pipes etc.)
- not chromed and no indication it is an option - call though
Not sure on tongue weight.
TT24.jpg

Touring model options:

4. Trailer Etc. U.S. 2008-UP Triumph Rocket III Touring Trailer Tow Hitch eBay $250 delivered
+ Cheapest
- Tourer only
- anodized, not chromed
- does NOT include ball
- Tongue weight rated at 40 lbs. or 400lb max towing capacity

5. Bushtec Triumph Rocket III Touring Ball Hitch US$300
- R3 Touring only
- not chrome
- no ball

Pictures here: R3T Trailer Wire Routing

Attachments

• customindustries.jpg