A new theory

Fired her up yesterday all good apart from the radiator cap being F@##$$%%D so coolant went everywhere even before it got hot. Must have dried out while it was sitting around. Have ordered a KTM one as there was none available where ever I rang yesterday and a 2 week wait to get one.
Having the inspection hole on the swing arm made putting the diff back on SOOO easy I just lifted the drive shaft with a piece of wire and pushed it in.
I found a new way to fit the back wheel as well. With the front wheel in my wheel clamp I raised the bike enough to get the wheel in then lowered it to line up the axle. Inserted the axle fully and raised the bike again, slid the wheel sideways to engage the spline lowered it down again pulled the axle back fitted the spacer and caliper with a piece of 20mm electrical conduit that I have drilled out with an 18mm drill so that it fits over the axle thread then I just tapped the axle into place pushing out the conduit. Sounds like a long task but a lot easier than lifting the wheel and trying to line up the spline.
DSCN2571.JPG
DSCN2570.JPG
DSCN2576.JPG

Took it for a second Ride this morning and have discovered the noise is still there, but it is only at 3000 RPM exactly in all gears AND in neutral???? Seems to be coming from around the headlight steering head gauges area. Very hard to find as my pipes are a bit load and my partner is not much good at holding the revs at 3 grand. Will attack a longer drain pipe to the exhaust to move the noise away and try again. We I found was not in the gearbox I decided to go for another ride 160 klm round trip to get a hamburger . Went great with a few bursts over 200 kph smooth as. Will let you know what I find.

Yep original early 04 oil sump changed so fast some 04-05 came with the newer and only other style of sump pan. In my opinion they changed it so not matter which side its leaning it has a sump screen to return oil. A vital thingy :)

That's why I have to stand mine up every so often in those long right hand sweepers ;)

Took it for a second Ride this morning and have discovered the noise is still there, but it is only at 3000 RPM exactly in all gears AND in neutral???? Seems to be coming from around the headlight steering head gauges area. Very hard to find as my pipes are a bit load and my partner is not much good at holding the revs at 3 grand. Will attack a longer drain pipe to the exhaust to move the noise away and try again. We I found was not in the gearbox I decided to go for another ride 160 klm round trip to get a hamburger . Went great with a few bursts over 200 kph smooth as. Will let you know what I find.
There is a vibration dampening bot on the front if the head ive seen them with not enough torque and so loose they leak. Also have you checked the plunger drop on the auto tensioner. After 16 mm a spacer gets added
After it wears again new chain and guides but I'd call thst normal wear and tear provided it was set up right. Just thinking out loud here.
Oh and if you check the plunger drop do not turn the engine over while the center plug and spring are out you might jump timing. Chevking cold or hot really won't be much different so I'd say you can check it either way.

There is a vibration dampening bot on the front if the head ive seen them with not enough torque and so loose they leak. Also have you checked the plunger drop on the auto tensioner. After 16 mm a spacer gets added
After it wears again new chain and guides but I'd call thst normal wear and tear provided it was set up right. Just thinking out loud here.
Oh and if you check the plunger drop do not turn the engine over while the center plug and spring are out you might jump timing. Chevking cold or hot really won't be much different so I'd say you can check it either way.
Could you please elaborate for me the location of the dampening bolt and do I just measure the distance in the hole with the nut and spring removed?

Could you please elaborate for me the location of the dampening bolt and do I just measure the distance in the hole with the nut and spring removed?
20190310_213701.jpg

Ill post some pictures on mearsuing the drop in the tensioner with caliper and the spacer side when I get on my computer.

Back