A new theory

Doc Roc

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3. 05
I am about to embark on a very perilous journey. I am going to replace the bearings on my Torsional damper. I realise that some have been fitted backwards and failed and some have been fitted correctly and failed and I have a theory that the ones that were fitted correctly probably filled up with crap and failed prematurely due to this as there was no way for this stuff to be flushed out.
So I will be fitting a bearing with NO seals so the oil can flow through it keeping it clean.
My other choice is to install a fully sealed pre-greased bearing the same as the one they supply in the kit for the back end. Decisions, decisions!!!
Please Chime in Lads.

I am about to embark on a very perilous journey. I am going to replace the bearings on my Torsional damper. I realise that some have been fitted backwards and failed and some have been fitted correctly and failed and I have a theory that the ones that were fitted correctly probably filled up with crap and failed prematurely due to this as there was no way for this stuff to be flushed out.
So I will be fitting a bearing with NO seals so the oil can flow through it keeping it clean.
My other choice is to install a fully sealed pre-greased bearing the same as the one they supply in the kit for the back end. Decisions, decisions!!!
Please Chime in Lads.

I suspect you would cause low oil pressure in other parts of the engine by essentially creating a "leak" in the oil galley. I would put a good quality single sealed bearing in with the open side towards the block.

I suspect you would cause low oil pressure in other parts of the engine by essentially creating a "leak" in the oil galley. I would put a good quality single sealed bearing in with the open side towards the block.
I really can't see that Triumph would rely on a bearing seal to retain oil pressure, and if it was the case I think a lot of engines would have had issues once the frond bearing cage disintegrated.

I really can't see that Triumph would rely on a bearing seal to retain oil pressure, and if it was the case I think a lot of engines would have had issues once the frond bearing cage disintegrated.

I doubt if many of them ran very long after the bearing failed. Mine didn't. It tried to lock up and was unrideable. Rockets are known for not getting a lot of oil up to the top end. I don't think creating a shortcut back to the sump is a good idea. I don't think properly installed front bearings are prone to failure. The rear bearings were when they were single sealed. They didn't get enough "splash" oil. Just my .5 cents worth.

Ok I'm going to some what agree with rocket scientist. Total oil flow thru would probably result in lose of oil lubrication somewhere down the line. Not sure if you realize it but oil also flows into the torsional damper shaft and out the drill oil passge. To lubricate the torsional shock absorbing movement. In my opinion this and osmosis is how the engineers thought the original rear bearing was going to get its oil. But alas the migration was not enough. In which it would add to the destruction of the unit. Oh and this migration of oil also would be comming from the leaks in the ealier metal shields and (less but still some)the newer non metalic shields. Some leakage is planned for and lubrucates other things in the motor much like the oil blow off (oil pressure relief valve) on the system is strategically located in the transmission section of the engine providing lubrication to a lot of moving parts. Now remove your shield so the pressure drops the relief valve stays close at higher rpms not spraying all the moving/mating gears, bushings, shims, I think you will definetly quickly realize what catastrophic failure is. Ok i ut s early good sunday morning topic :) now another cup and meet the press :D

Last edited:
Geez.....since getting my Rocket and joining this forum I was only losing sleep over the transmission ticking time bomb.......now I will lose sleep over the torsional damper time bomb.......thanks. :eek:

Dropped the sump yesterday and there are some metal particles in the screens not as much as I have seen in photos posted here. My sump looks totally different to any I have seen on here. Spinning the back wheel with the disc pads retracted does not create any noise from the damper area only when you rock the wheel back and forward there seems to be a lot off backlash and clunking. Also I can lay under the bike and see the damper, I got someone to rock the back wheel and could not notice any major lateral movement in the damper.
I am still going to rip it apart as I have made all the tools to do the job, and I feel it is not good to have a sound like an empty tool box being dragged along under your bike!!
It is not a hard job just bloody time consuming and it will take me longer as the temperature here yesterday was 45°C so I could only do a bit at a time.
Thanks for the input guys, will ask the bearing shop if they recommend standard or C3 bearings.
Will keep you posted and add some photos if I can figure out how.

Back