A Little Help Please with LED Signal Indicators

ksquared

"O Captain, My Captain"
Ride
2008 Red/Black R3T
Hi guys.

I've just had my entire R3T converted to LED (headlight, driving lights, taillight and all indicators). I'm EXTREMELY happy with the results, as the lights (Chinese made) are real flamethrowers and have increased both day and nighttime visibility.

However, I'm having an issue with my turn signal indicators. At idle, they seem to work fine, flashing for a long time and then self-cancelling. BUT, if I'm riding (any speed over about 5 mph), they either don't work at all or will come on, flash one or twice, and then go off. This occurs to both the right and left signals. I've checked all of the connections and even replaced one of the front turn signal housings when I found the insert where the wiring goes to be cracked.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the turn signals working as they should while riding?

Thanks in advance for any help.

KSquared

On a Touring model you need to install parallel Load Resistors to LED Turn Signals
(with a non-Touring you would install a replacement relay - however on the Touring the Turn Signal driver is embedded in the Instrument Cluster)

LED flasher Problem Rocket III Touring

Thank you very much for the assistance. I read your earlier post and I think I understand it, but I have one question: Do I need to have an 8 ohm resistor wired in parallel with EACH of the LED bulbs (a total of 4 resistors), or do I just need to wire in one somewhere in the electrical system? I didn't install the lighting and I'm not going to do the wiring of the resistors, so I want to be able to tell the guy who is exactly what needs to be done.

Thanks for the advice you've already provided - I owe ya.

Ks

2 resistors total - one per side
Does not matter whether you install at front or rear and don't have to go directly across the leds, just between the right side wire and ground and left side wire and ground
Rear is going to be easier to access most likely

Last edited:
2 resistors total - one per side
Does not matter whether you b install at front or rear and don't have to directly across the leds, just between the right side wire and ground and left side wire and ground
Rear is going to be easier to access most likely
Can't thank you enough, brother. If you're ever down Florida way - the brew is on me!

Ks

Hi guys.

I've just had my entire R3T converted to LED (headlight, driving lights, taillight and all indicators). I'm EXTREMELY happy with the results, as the lights (Chinese made) are real flamethrowers and have increased both day and nighttime visibility.

However, I'm having an issue with my turn signal indicators. At idle, they seem to work fine, flashing for a long time and then self-cancelling. BUT, if I'm riding (any speed over about 5 mph), they either don't work at all or will come on, flash one or twice, and then go off. This occurs to both the right and left signals. I've checked all of the connections and even replaced one of the front turn signal housings when I found the insert where the wiring goes to be cracked.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the turn signals working as they should while riding?

Thanks in advance for any help.

KSquared

Hi Ksquared - What brand LEDS did you use ? Do you have part numbers ? Thanks

Terry: I don't have them, but I'm going to see my seller/installer tomorrow and I will get them for you. As soon as I have them I'll post back to you.

Ks
I installed 2 load resistors on my Roadster after installing led's....i found the wiring on the right hand side under the side panel near the top frame. After installing, i cable tied them to the frame...neat and tidy and easy to do.

I installed 2 load resistors on my Roadster after installing led's....i found the wiring on the right hand side under the side panel near the top frame. After installing, i cable tied them to the frame...neat and tidy and easy to do.
NOW i learn that!....i'm just a DIY so didnt know, but thanx, never too late to learn huh?

Back