4th gear issues R3R 2011

It's taken me a while to get around to stripping the bike down and getting the engine out. First phase, get the engine out, without a shed.

Rocket Repair 14.jpg
Rocket Repair 7.jpg
Rocket Repair 6.jpg
Rocket Repair 1.jpg
Rocket Repair 21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily the engine can be worked on in the workshop.. (I had previously removed the sump to check for metal fragmentations before rolling the engine over. I put it back with a couple of bolts while I removed it from the bike).

Rocket Repair 41.jpg
Rocket Repair 42.jpg

And where I am at now.

I can't see any circlips popped out of their groove. 4th gear has two lines in each tooth though?. Will take some more close up photos of the dogs.
I've been following other threads with other 4th gear woes closely to see if there is any pointers as to the issue I have. Such great resources on this forum and I would not of been able to of got as far as I have without other users write ups and R-III-R Turbo videos. Any ideas @warp9.9 @R-III-R Turbo @mr hunt @Tripps

Rocket Repair 31.jpg
Rocket Repair 32.jpg
Rocket Repair 33.jpg
Rocket Repair 34.jpg
Rocket Repair 35.jpg
Rocket Repair 36.jpg

Good news is things don't appear destroyed.. but something is damaged since you had the problem with shifting and those shards of metal in the sump filters..
Those circumferential marks on 4th output's teeth top lands are normal.

What happens if you sit the transmission into the upside-down upper crankcase, turn it with one hand/hand drill and try shift with the other?

Back