2005 Rocket III Strange No Start Issue

He has repeatedly stated that a VERY HD battery booster was used in addition to the fully charged battery.

Old fuel, or possibly as stated earlier possibly cracked/old fuel hoses in tank attached to filter and pump etc can leak fuel pressure back into tank.

One of my 05's had very bad lines in the tank. VERY hard, and cracked. The other 05 was fine, but I replaced anyhow. Strange?

best guess like others have said bad gas/old gas.
although only 5000 miles due to old gas the plugs more that likely bad.
i would say at least 3 new plugs 1 for each cyl. then remove old gas and put in some premium then hit it with a shot of either buy removing the air filter.
the fuel rail and injectors may be plugged but the shot (actually 2 shots) of either if it comes to life would tell u if it don't run that u have restricted gas.

Let me start of by saying that this is not my bike, it's a friend of mine's who is a bit less mechanically inclined than myself. He has a 2005 Rocket III (with only 5k miles) that has the strangest no start issue and I'm here to ask for some possible culprits because I'm at my wits end with it. He's planning on taking it to the dealer in a few days if I can't get it figured out. I typically work on older Harley's so I'm a little out of my element with this beast and all of its sensors.

Problem: Key on, fuel pump primes, gauges sweep, all lights (headlights included) work, and the bike just cranks and cranks and cranks but will not fire. Tried with kickstand up and down, clutch in and out (in neutral), and tried bumping the bars from stop to stop to see if it was an ignition switch issue for good measure. The bike ran before it was parked for winter and had a new battery put in this season.

What I've Tried: I checked the ignition coils resistance from the pins at the ecu (all 3 read 1.8 Ohm's), got 12V+ to the wires at the coils and just to be sure i pulled one plug and grounded it to the cylinder head and verified that I got spark. Fuel pump primes and i can definitely smell fuel as I crank it(the plug i pulled had a little wet fuel on it as well from the cranking), for good measure i pulled one of the intake boots loose on the left side and hit it with a little starting fluid to see if it would sputter but it did not. Battery is new and tested good (also had a large jump pack hooked up as well because i read these bikes are power hungry). Pulled the crank sensor on the bottom and it was clean. Verified that it had the factory alarm bypass/jumper plug installed. All harnesses and plugs under the tank appear to be in good shape and connected. All fuses tested good and I switched the 4 pin relays around, still nothing. Hooked it up to my bluetooth obdII adapter with Torque Pro app and it register's 300rpm and the timing advancing by 8 degrees while cranking (no trouble codes). The only conclusion I have come to so far is that maybe when he put the new battery in he shorted something out or maybe toasted the ECU or something. The bike is currently at his house 25 minutes from me so if it would be possible to get a short list of things together to test/try before I head back, that'd be great. Thanks in advance for any help or insight that anyone can give.
If their is a power commander installed on this bike, you could check to see if the ground wire had been reconnected, or the ECU won't communicate with the fuel injectors! "Be Safe"

Back