Silver Bullet

Supercharged
My fellow riders. today is the first day I have had to go on a road trip of almost 250 miles through the country on county roads. As you may remember, I just bought an 05 R3 with 3500 miles on Monday Sept. 10. I am not totally used to the feel of the R3 yet. Having said that...several times today when the bike was put into neutral and parked, I had difficulty getting the trans back into 1 st gear. It seemed as though it was in gear by the feel of the shifter, (the neutral light was out), but it was indeed not in gear yet and remained in neutral. It simply would not go into 1st gear. I had to take the trans to 2nd gear and then back through neutral to 1st gear to get it into 1st gear.
Is this "sticking in neutral" a common problem for the 05 model? What suggestions do any of you have to fix the problem if indeed there is one?
Thanks to all for comments, Silver Bullet.

Finding first is common for all model years. I recommend feathering the clutch slightly then retapping it in first. Or letting the bike roll forward or backward a hair them engaging first. It does improve with time, whether that is due to the tranny breaking in or the rider, I am not sure.

Just the other day I thought it was in first, I took off from a light and got about 10 feet before it slipped out.

Thanks Pig

Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping this bike didn't have a terminal problem of some kind. I guess I should get used to using the search function of this site. Apparently you are correct and this is common for a bike with this few miles on it.
I have in the past used Rotella Synthethic 5w/40 in my Valk and found it to be acceptable. In fact, it seemed to take a lot of engine/tranny noise out of the bike and made shifting easier. Is this an acceptable substitute for Mobil 1 which is what I was told is in the bike now?
Bullet...

Last edited:
When I am in neutral, when ready to shift into first gear I always " double clutch " the clutch lever. ( pull clutch lever in completly then release then pull lever in completly and shift into first gear, now you should be ready to go). Give that a try. Rademis

Silver Bullet- here is a past thread with some good discussion that will answer your question. http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=879&highlight=rotella

My opinion is that first and formost use a quality synthetic because the engine and tranny are sharing oil. Secondly it is important to use motorcycle specific oil because auto oils have anti-friction additives that are catylitic converter safe, however those additives are not too friendly to motorcycle clutches. Rotella did not have those additives in the past however according to this article this year they are changing their additive package.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Without rading the article, Shell is changing the additive package to comply with the emissions requirements of Class 8 diesel engines. However, you will still be able to purchase the old additive package in the base stock. The new additive package will be labeled differently.

Finding first is common for all model years. I recommend feathering the clutch slightly then retapping it in first. Or letting the bike roll forward or backward a hair them engaging first. It does improve with time, whether that is due to the tranny breaking in or the rider, I am not sure.

Just the other day I thought it was in first, I took off from a light and got about 10 feet before it slipped out.

I have had several BMW motorcycles that had the same kind of problem getting into 1st gear. I found that if I put some light pressure on the gearshift lever and slowly let out the clutch it would snick right in. This seems to work on my new 06 R3. However I am having a difficult time finding neutral LOL, especially so if I have already turned the engine off. Go figure, I guess I will get used to it the more I ride it.
Gary

...I am having a difficult time finding neutral LOL, especially so if I have already turned the engine off...Gary
The answer: don't do that:D Another instance of difficulty in finding neutral, with the engine running, is when I've rolled back into a parking space. I have to move 'er forward just a smidgen(<few inches) then she goes easily into neutral. Subsequently, after cranking back-up, getting into first is a cinch, with no double clutching/feathering needed.

Back