12 Volt Power Socket Install

Pig9r

Living Legend
I decided to install a regular 12v power socket in place of where the Triumph "Aux Power Outlet" goes. I found an all weather power outlet at my local auto parts store. I chose this one because it was totally enclosed and had two heavy gauge wires coming out of the back for easy installation. It cost around $6.00

acr.jpg

I removed the bearclaw and left side cover. I then removed the plastic panel which the socket mounts into. I removed the blank plug and drilled the existing hole to about 1 inch in diameter. I then filed and trimmed until I got a snug fit. I also trimmed off the mounting bracket that was on the power socket.

acq.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the fit I mixed up some good ol' JB Weld. It should be noted the fit was good enough to hold it in however I wanted some insurance that it wouldn't work loose.

aco.jpg

The connector plug for the power outlet is behind the mounting panel. The purple wire connection is positive. I had to replace the female spade connectors that came with the power socket with 1/4 inch male connectors because the plug on the bike is female. I then replaced everything and..........

acn.jpg

wouldn't this be a good spot for the ignition key ? with my wind vest the stock location is a bear. i'll worry about the fork lock later.

I'm not sure it would be a good place for the ignition key, but I don't like the acessory socket there either. The acessory socket needs a blanking plug of it's own so when it's not in use, the hole is closed up keeping water and gunk out. Sorry, Pigger, my opinion for what it's worth.

My Bonnie has the ignition key on the side of the headlight and there is a reloacting kit to move it under the tank.

I'd prefer a keyless R3. You'd think with the computer wizardry you could have a remote, no key, start

If you put the ignition key where the acessory/blank plug is, you could only have one key on the ring and nothing metal or it would swing back and forth and scar the plastic panel.

Incidentially, my brother-in-law has a Windvest and personally I prefer the Triumph/NC windscreen. Windvest is like Corbin, overpriced and not much to it. The ignition and fork lock both work fine with the Triumph windshield. Obviously, the Windvest is a generic fit.

Last edited:
The accessory socket needs a blanking plug of it's own so when it's not in use, the hole is closed up keeping water and gunk out.

The one I install is completely enclosed in the back and has a plug that goes in to cover the outlet when not in use. So no problems.

I agree as to the location of the ignition being a problem. Even with the Triumph pixie hat deflector installed it can be challenging to get to. Maybe if it was on the side of the top yoke like the Bonnevilles? Many metric cruisers have them installed in areas similar to where the accessory socket is. It is more common on the carburetted ones.

Pig9R - I'm unaware of the stock left panel configuration. I'll assume at this point that the mount protrusion for the implementation of a standard 12v outlet previously existed? That is, the optional $35 other type connector wasn't already installed and this was not a replacement??

Last edited:
Yes.. there is a place... under your left leg as your sitting on the bike. For this installation, the hole needs to be enlarged to about 1" as Pig9r stated. I did this also and it works GREAT. I used it as a cell phone charger on my Sturgis trip last year.. AND it plugs right into the stock wiring harness!

Last edited:
That is correct. I pluged my gloves into today. Still works great. I was'nt wild about having a powerlet sized plug like on the stock socket.:bch:

That is correct. I pluged my gloves into today. Still works great. I was'nt wild about having a powerlet sized plug like on the stock socket.:bch:

Yep! That's the word for it, "powerlet". Once again I got the shaft; a $35 unusable outlet until I get a $15 adapter. I suppose there are uses for a "powerlet"; but, the Triumph Accessories specs on this device powerlet should have stated, "no good for the majority of users" or "this ain't what you think it is".

Last edited:
Back