12 Volt Power Socket Install

Yep! That's the word for it, "powerlet". Once again I got the shaft; a $35 unusable outlet until I get a $15 adapter. I suppose there are uses for a "powerlet"; but, the Triumph Accessories specs on this device powerlet should have stated, "no good for the majority of users" or "this ain't what you think it is".

You nailed that one in the sack! I also wasted my money on the accessory unit. I didn't find out it was a european socket till i got home with it. So back to the dealer to find out i need to order a even more useless adapter. Plans are now to Pig9R's route. I figure a marine/boat shop should have some sort of water proof unit. Bigern

bigern-- I checked several marine outfitters in the area prior to buying the one that I did. They sold the same thing but it was $20 more. I originally wanted to find one with a spring loaded cover but none were weatherproof like this one. I did purchase a separate rubber plug to use instead of the one that came with it.

10-4, thanks for the heads up! You would think that Triumph would have the forethought to either sell a U.S. compatitable socket, or just not sell the dang thing at all in the U.S. market. Bigern

I cut some corners here

I had to power up my GPS, but I decided that its too wet spot for power socket so I bought a socket from nearby gas station, a fuse and a box for it. So I just cut the wires needed, attached it straight to battery using that fused and whacked the whole set behind the battery. It's not pretty but it works for me and its a quite dry place to put it. I don't think my GPS power would have survived where triumph thinks the socket should be.

There are a few unused accessory plugs under the gas tank that are good sources of power as well. I used the heated grips plug to power my Autocom system. By looking at the wiring diagram in the service manual you can tell which of the pins in the plug are hot and ground. Solder pins on the power lead for what accessory you want to hook up and plug them in and use heat shrink tubing over it to keep the water out. Just make sure it is fused correctly for what you are hooking up to it.

My First Mod

Ok, I followed pigr9’s method and it worked like a charm. The only thing I would say to make it a little easier and more water poof is to shrink wrap your connections. The connectors I used were 16-14awg.187 male connectors and the shrink wrap was ¼” shrink wrap.

Thanks

Sky :bch:

I have a smart charger that came with a cig lighter plug to charge the batrtery and it had a breakaway part on the cone that would fit the powerlet socket (I used it on the Beemer). this part could be replaced again to be used on the cig lighter. So the two are semi- compatable. but you probably won't charge you cell phone off the powerlet, but they are handy for heated garmets

Pig9r, I am never going to post anything about anything until I check all your post. I had just posted something on the GPS thread saying something about doing this and then I see you have it all diagramed out for me on this thread. Thanks. I was going to use an old cig lighter I had in the shop but now I am going to go find a marine one. I liked the JB weld idea also as I usually have a hard time with the plugs coming loose over time. Now I am going to go look under my tank and see what is there. My couriosity is up.

Back