10w40 or 15w50?

Thanks, W. Best speed limit we have here is 110km/h or about 68mph. However when the boys in blue aren’t around, I’ve had my beast up to about 200km/h or about 125mph. No speed wobbles and lots of room on the tachometer to go. What a bike.
What you have a tach👍😁 nice, it's been a while since I've been there, around here if I get caught 20 mph over say 65, so at 85mph they threaten to throw you in jail, so I've never been there, and don't plan on going anytime soon, but my buddy got pulled over racing me when I was young and I was clocked at 110 in 3rd gear, I got over a hill , saw the break lights go on and banged 4th and kept going, talked to my buddy later, actually passed them by back in the group while they were pulled over, 2 biddies actually, talk about a good time, they didn't even get a ticket, he wanted me though for some reason, you can't make this a**t up, for some reason in the 80's the Speedo only went to 80mph so I had know idea what I was going half the time, I raced a Mopar road runner with the old lady on the back and asked him and he had no idea, buried 120 Speedo, my X loved it, after having a flat on a Sunday poker run she rode with my cousin the rest of the day, got to the end of the run and heard all the horror stories, never got on the back again, it was great without her 😁 nag nag nah, she left me and and the kid's wanted to come back about 6 months later, nobody wanted her back, both kids said no to her right in front of me, it was classic, a longer story than that and even more, better stuff, it was like a real life soap opera, you can't make up. All I know is life is great without her 😁👍🥂 Oh one more thing, when I took a test drive on my rocket I felt a small wobble at 45 mph and after getting it home and on the road legal, I checked the tire pressure before going out, was I think 26 front and like 28 psi rear, felt a lot better after 36 and 42, also noticed he had a radial excedra on the back and a bias Metzler on the front, I was like that is weird. Man I don't know what's up with my stuff but a lot of the post just got erased twice, but anywho, getting a much better ride and traction now, gn GL, and GB
Correction once, I see I posted twice, getting old I guess 😁🥂😳😎😉☺️☀️🔥🌉🌃
Please go to FB for the editing, they do a better job than me,😉😳😁😭😅😂👍☀️🔥😭🌃 trying to keep it clean 😁 and not putting the finger in it, but it's nice to have a real social network, let's keep it that way shall we, R3Owners, the few, the proud, the R3Owners 😁
As they ride into the sunset, oh man I promised not to get all gooey 😭😁

Last edited:
Thanks, W. Best speed limit we have here is 110km/h or about 68mph. However when the boys in blue aren’t around, I’ve had my beast up to about 200km/h or about 125mph. No speed wobbles and lots of room on the tachometer to go. What a bike.
What you have a tach👍😁 nice, it's been a while since I've been there, around here if I get caught 20 mph over say 65, so at 85mph they threaten to throw you in jail, so I've never been there, and don't plan on going anytime soon, but my buddy got pulled over racing me when I was young and I was clocked at 110 in 3rd gear, I got over a hill , saw the break lights go on and banged 4th and kept going, talked to my buddy later, actually passed them by back in the group while they were pulled over, 2 biddies actually, talk about a good time, they didn't even get a ticket, he wanted me though for some reason, you can't make this a**t up, for some reason in the 80's the Speedo only went to 80mph so I had know idea what I was going half the time, I raced a Mopar road runner with the old lady on the back and asked him and he had no idea, buried 120 Speedo, my X loved it, after having a flat on a Sunday poker run she rode with my cousin the rest of the day, got to the end of the run and heard all the horror stories, never got on the back again, it was great without her 😁 nag nag nah, she left me and and the kid's wanted to come back about 6 months later, nobody wanted her back, both kids said no to her right in front of me, it was classic, a longer story than that and even more, better stuff, it was like a real life soap opera, you can't make up. All I know is life is great without her 😁👍🥂 Oh one more thing, when I took a test drive on my rocket I felt a small wobble at 45 mph and after getting it home and on the road legal, I checked the tire pressure before going out, was I think 26 front and like 28 psi rear, felt a lot better after 36 and 42, also noticed he had a radial excedra on the back and a bias Metzler on the front, I was like that is weird and he
eh' have a good one, and one more on me😁

Long story , shortened . I use Amsoil 4x 15-50 + 1 x 60w . bike runs like a charm & shifting is perfect . Less clunking when shifting .
Bernard, why the 60 weight oil? The bike really doesn't need it. Not criticizing you, just curious. Actually since most of us don't run our bikes in cold weather, we really don't need a multi grade oil, so adding a straight weight reduces the potential for viscosity breakdown ++. The engine in my Buick uses 0W-20. In my 2012 Roadster, I run full synthetic 10W-40 Amzoil or Mobil motorcycle specific oil, since the temps in my area are quite temperate. A dealer/owner/mechanic I spoke to in Staynor Ontario stated that he sticks to 10W-40 because of our climate. He also stated that if he lived in the southern US, he'd stick to the 15W-50. Since I haven't heard of anyone really having oil related problems I'd have no problem using either grades. Heck, I've even used Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 with no issues (there is a T6 15W-40 available now). Most diesel oils without friction modifiers will work in our engines with no ill effects on our clutches. Just stick to oils which have the JASO, MA, MA2 etc ratings that Triumph requests in their manual.

Bernard, why the 60 weight oil? The bike really doesn't need it. Not criticizing you, just curious. Actually since most of us don't run our bikes in cold weather, we really don't need a multi grade oil, so adding a straight weight reduces the potential for viscosity breakdown ++. The engine in my Buick uses 0W-20. In my 2012 Roadster, I run full synthetic 10W-40 Amzoil or Mobil motorcycle specific oil, since the temps in my area are quite temperate. A dealer/owner/mechanic I spoke to in Staynor Ontario stated that he sticks to 10W-40 because of our climate. He also stated that if he lived in the southern US, he'd stick to the 15W-50. Since I haven't heard of anyone really having oil related problems I'd have no problem using either grades. Heck, I've even used Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 with no issues (there is a T6 15W-40 available now).
I had got busy to do an oil change on the touring & realized that I was missing a liter of oil to fill it up . Had 60w on had of the same oil Amsoil and put it in . Started it and went for a ride and noticed that the shifting was much softer . Have actually been running like this for 4 season . This season I have changed my oil and this time put in only 15-50 w . ( Did not have any 60w left ) It does shift louder than with the 60w in it . ( If you have ever driven a farm tractor or even a BMW airhead from the 70's you'll know what I mean ) . This is something that I have observed with my machine .

I got cheap Motul 7100 10W60 oil, it is not recommended for use. Firstly: strong engine vibration (it didn’t seem to me). Secondly: it’s not possible to determine the oil level (remains on the engine walls). Thirdly: the oil pressure indicator has stopped glowing. After driving a one hundred kilometers, the oil was changed to Motul 10w40.

I'm going to try this high performance oil...
Made For bikes with NO catalytic conv...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-065945_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220723-065945_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 14
TLDR: Try the one you've not used on next oil change. Use whichever shifts better on your bike within a given brand.

Anything that shifts smoothly and feels good at the 5k mile mark is working well. Some of the cheaper synthetics, like Castrol or Royal Purple, start to feel bad to me by like 2k mark so I don't use them. Mobile1 4T 10-40 is, in my humble opinion, the best value for money motorcycle oil.

25 interval oils, 15-40 for example, has fewer modifiers in it and will not shear or break down as fast.

Anything over 25 interval has modifiers which provide the extended range of 10-40 for example or 15-50.

If you're genuinely concerned, send samples to blakstonetec and have analysis done.

FWIW:
Mufasa gets 15-40 Amsoil Marine and Diesel at 5k miles or less, but usually around 3500. It comes out as soon as I see black micro-particulate in the oil. It's wasteful and the oil is still very much good (and in the future Mufasa's waste oil will go into the H2 for another 4k miles).

Daytona gets Rotella T6. Daytona doesn't care. Would probably be happy with melted butter lol.

H2 got Valvoline 10-40 for first change, but will move to Amsoil 15-40 Marine and Diesel next change. Valvoline was used because it's cheap, synthetic, and was going to be a short interval with some break in time remaining on it.

All the R3 engines I've seen inside that run "motorcycle" oil, like Mobile 1 4T etc have oil staining on everything. Mufasa has zero. None. Look inside, everything is silver and once cleaned literally looks like new. From the oil or my low mile change intervals? No idea, but I know Amsoil 15-40 M&D feels best for my transmission, has extra components the 4T oils do not to protect and clean, and is only 11.25/quart here. While pricey, it's less than the premium 4Ts which don't perform as well.

Back