Switching off head lights (or: where is this instrument panel connector)

Gleekzorp

.060 Over
Ride
2016 Roadster and some other non-Rockets
Hi all,

On my 2016 Roadster I'd like to put a switch in the head lights ground wire, to be able to completely switch them off (instead of pulling the fuse every time using Tuneecu).
Studying the wiring diagram, it must be the Black wire on pin 10 of the instrument panel connector. But: where do I find this connector? Is it under the fuel tank, in one of the headlights, is it just 1 connector or is it divided into several others? Any advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Gleek.

Hi @cootertwo , looking at the circuit diagram I found here, having a circuit breaker switch at pin 10 of the instrument panel connector might do just the trick of going dark completely (which would work for me as well).
So, where is that elusive instrument panel connector...?

Ah... I just noticed the diagram I linked to has a very small "C20XB" in the small print, so that might refer to an older version of the bike...
I couldn't find the correct connector (even when consulting the correct circuit diagram for my bike), so I went to try someting else. Initially I thought of adding a switch to the wire going to the headlight fuse, but on my 2016 Roadster, pulling the headlight fuse also cuts the power to ignition switch, so you can't start the bike without it... bummer...

So, according to the circuit diagram, a blue wire from the starter relay directly supplies power to the headlight dipswitch. If I could put a switch in that wire, both headlights are without power. If you follow the wiring loom from the LHS handlebar switch block to under the fuel tank, you'll see it ends in 10-pin connector. To figure out which of the wires is the correct one, I hooked up my multimeter (in "beep" mode) between the starter relay blue wire (the one in the middle of the connector) :
IMG_20230414_150933_736.jpg

and use the other probe to check the wires on the connector I found under the tank. I started with the blue wire and bingo!
IMG_20230414_151032_266.jpg

The LHS switch block wiring loom had plenty of lenght for the blue wire's counterpart to be cut (the counterpart on my bike is blue/yellow (or yellow/blue?)).
IMG_20230414_154032_353.jpg

So, I bolted an extra switch on the handlebar, hooked it up to the blue/yellow wire and now I can finally switch off the headlights and start the bike.
Note: this only switches off the main headlights, so not usable for going completely in "dark mode"...

Back