Starting problem or battery

WaynejG

Standard Bore
Ride
2009 Rocket Classic
On Sunday, it was pretty cold in the garage. Went to start the bike and it turned over like the battery was flat. Put the battery on a quick 30 min charge and it it started right up.
For the rest of the day the bike was fine.

I was all ready to buy a lithium battery but first took the lead battery in to be tested. Two places did a load test and found the battery to be fine. I had a chuckle when the one guy said the battery is strong enough to start a car. The look on his face when I said the bikes engine at 2300cc is bigger than most cars was priceless.

A local mechanic recommended the fix as per the screenshot. Cannot see how his fix would sort out the problem as that is more aimed at a running bike and not starting. Would the lithium battery not just sort it out?
Screenshot_20230529_180309_WhatsApp.jpg

Not sure how the above would work or fix your problem. If the battery is good I would go and check all the earths for corrosion and maybe change out the starter relay.

If it was a charging issue you would still have the same problem during the day too?

Sounds like the battery not liking the cold but you had it tested.

Tested? maybe
a battery can work fine all day and the next day not have enough volts to work.
charge the battery good then try it the next day. put a volt meter on it and if it drops below 9 volts you need a battery.

When in doubt, it's always the battery. The poster reminds me of the original problem with the ignition barrel de-soldering due to the headlight load (55w) going thru the ignition switch. Later iterations of the bike (post 2010) were all corrected at the factory and the bypass relay wasn't needed.

Back