10w40 or 15w50?

JPBQC

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
I’ve got a 2016 RIII and after a long run it’s time to top up the oil. I live in Alberta, Canada which means I’m usually running in temps of 10 to 30c (50 to 86f). The manual says either 10w40 or 15w50. Any ideas on which would be best? Thanks, everyone!

I ride year round down here in exotic Idaho. The engine gets hot no matter what the outside temps are. It is my firm belief the 15W50 is better for the transmission. The Castrol 4T Full Syn 10W50 is good too. I have used both with good results. I just added 95 horsepower to my bike so it has the 15W50 in it right now.

I ride year round down here in exotic Idaho. The engine gets hot no matter what the outside temps are. It is my firm belief the 15W50 is better for the transmission. The Castrol 4T Full Syn 10W50 is good too. I have used both with good results. I just added 95 horsepower to my bike so it has the 15W50 in it right now.
Thanks, Idaho! How did you add horsepower to your bike? The RIII is a mighty bike but more never goes astray.

I use Mobil 1 4t 10-40, but I'm not racing, and no extreme riding really, just cruising, I quit the speeding ticket habit in like 1985, well slowed it down a lot after having 11 of 12 points on my license, it was definitely time to quit the habit, so my bike doesn't really feel to, to hot, yeah in the starboard side she's a little hot at the lights. But runs good the rest of the time, think it's more important to keep it clean, mine only has about 1,000 miles on the oil change but it's crystal clear. The best treatment you can do to your bike give it clean synthetic recommended fluids, I can see mine smile when I twist the throttle, plus I'm 60 this year so my extremes are all but behind me, I'd like to get it on a Dyno tune and see what she will do in a 1/4, maybe bust my buddies chops a little, he's been bragging he just got into the high 10's, and I was joking around with an old pickup with an exhaust and first time I really got on 2nd gear and the beast started to roar, it was great, only took it into 2nd and we both backed off. The fastest I've had it so far was about 100 mph, felt pretty smooth too, especially for a bike with 46,000 on it, 14 year's old. I tell you I looked at the new one tfc sure I'd love to have one of those and 1 of those over there and a few of these, but I have to eat too so😁👍🥂 but what I'm trying to say, not much plastic on the 08, and forget about the jap bike's, even the aluminum is like plastic, I wore my 80 kz 1000 out in 3 year's with I don't know about 25,000 on it, it did bad death wobbles around 80 around the Twisties, talk about scary, I'm a big guy and almost thought it was going to wobble the bar's out of my hands scary.
I knew it was just swingarm bushings and races and steering head bearings and races were shot, I beat the p**s out of that thing for 3 years, and bought it brand new.
But anywho back to the post, I probably should have used 20-50 on the kz, but the engine was still strong when I got rid of it, never had any problems besides the wobble after 3 year's,
Unless you are always over the speed limit by a lot or you live in Germany and travel the Autobahn daily or any places like that, The 4t full synthetic 10-40 Castrol or Mobil 1, I hear guys use Amsoil, V-Twin, I think the local shop has the one of the last 2 I don't know anything about the others should be good, I'm old school and believe in Mobil 1 product's just preference guys, don't attack me all day once!!! Oh and I hear some guys say they get 10,000 miles out of an oil change 😳 yeah I would advise against that, if you're avg. Hard on it 3,500 miles, and if you baby the you know what out of it maybe 7,500, in a perfect environment yeah 10,000 miles, now add a little dirt that can somehow get in, and I don't care how tight you're engine is , you will always have blowback through your ring's, that's carbon in your oil floating around like compound creating more blowback and clearances. I never got more than I'd say 5,000 a year and it's suggested to empty the oil and add new if you put it up for a while, like the winter because read acid's in motor oil from combustion gases in oil, what is the service interval, some are every 6 months regardless of miles, and I'm pretty sure it's at least every year. An oil change is cheap compared to a rebuild, especially if you don't know much about a bike and have to use the dealership rates.
Hey what's the top speed limit up there, I've never been there, guess there's some nice Twisties, I've got to put that on the bucket list 😁🥂😳
Keep it upright and between the lines and away from hard objects 😁🥂 GL

Last edited:
I use Mobil 1 4t 10-40, but I'm not racing, and no extreme riding really, just cruising, I quit the speeding ticket habit in like 1985, well slowed it down a lot after having 11 of 12 points on my license, it was definitely time to quit the habit, so my bike doesn't really feel to, to hot, yeah in the starboard side she's a little hot at the lights. But runs good the rest of the time, think it's more important to keep it clean, mine only has about 1,000 miles on the oil change but it's crystal clear. The best treatment you can do to your bike give it clean synthetic recommended fluids, I can see mine smile when I twist the throttle, plus I'm 60 this year so my extremes are all but behind me, I'd like to get it on a Dyno tune and see what she will do in a 1/4, maybe bust my buddies chops a little, he's been bragging he just got into the high 10's, and I was joking around with an old pickup with an exhaust and first time I really got on 2nd gear and the beast started to roar, it was great, only took it into 2nd and we both backed off. The fastest I've had it so far was about 100 mph, felt pretty smooth too, especially for a bike with 46,000 on it, 14 year's old. I tell you I looked at the new one tfc sure I'd love to have one of those and 1 of those over there and a few of these, but I have to eat too so😁👍🥂 but what I'm trying to say, not much plastic on the 08, and forget about the jap bike's, even the aluminum is like plastic, I wore my 80 kz 1000 out in 3 year's with I don't know about 25,000 on it, it did bad death wobbles around 80 around the Twisties, talk about scary, I'm a big guy and almost thought it was going to wobble the bar's out of my hands scary.
I knew it was just swingarm bushings and races and steering head bearings and races were shot, I beat the p**s out of that thing for 3 years, and bought it brand new.
But anywho back to the post, I probably should have used 20-50 on the kz, but the engine was still strong when I got rid of it, never had any problems besides the wobble after 3 year's,
Unless you are always over the speed limit by a lot or you live in Germany and travel the Autobahn daily or any places like that, The 4t full synthetic 10-40 Castrol or Mobil 1, I hear guys use Amsoil, V-Twin, I think the local shop has the one of the last 2 I don't know anything about the others should be good, I'm old school and believe in Mobil 1 product's just preference guys, don't attack me all day once!!! Oh and I hear some guys say they get 10,000 miles out of an oil change 😳 yeah I would advise against that, if you're avg. Hard on it 3,500 miles, and if you baby the you know what out of it maybe 7,500, in a perfect environment yeah 10,000 miles, now add a little dirt that can somehow get in, and I don't care how tight you're engine is , you will always have blowback through your ring's, that's carbon in your oil floating around like compound creating more blowback and clearances. I never got more than I'd say 5,000 a year and it's suggested to empty the oil and add new if you put it up for a while, like the winter because read acid's in motor oil from combustion gases in oil, what is the service interval, some are every 6 months regardless of miles, and I'm pretty sure it's at least every year. An oil change is cheap compared to a rebuild, especially if you don't know much about a bike and have to use the dealership rates.
Hey what's the top speed limit up there, I've never been there, guess there's some nice Twisties, I've got to put that on the bucket list 😁🥂😳
Keep it upright and between the lines and away from hard objects 😁🥂 GL
Thanks, W. Best speed limit we have here is 110km/h or about 68mph. However when the boys in blue aren’t around, I’ve had my beast up to about 200km/h or about 125mph. No speed wobbles and lots of room on the tachometer to go. What a bike.

Thanks, W. Best speed limit we have here is 110km/h or about 68mph. However when the boys in blue aren’t around, I’ve had my beast up to about 200km/h or about 125mph. No speed wobbles and lots of room on the tachometer to go. What a bike.
What you have a tach👍😁 nice, it's been a while since I've been there, around here if I get caught 20 mph over say 65, so at 85mph they threaten to throw you in jail, so I've never been there, and don't plan on going anytime soon, but my buddy got pulled over racing me when I was young and I was clocked at 110 in 3rd gear, I got over a hill , saw the break lights go on and banged 4th and kept going, talked to my buddy later, actually passed them by back in the group while they were pulled over, 2 biddies actually, talk about a good time, they didn't even get a ticket, he wanted me though for some reason, you can't make this a**t up, for some reason in the 80's the Speedo only went to 80mph so I had know idea what I was going half the time, I raced a Mopar road runner with the old lady on the back and asked him and he had no idea, buried 120 Speedo, my X loved it, after having a flat on a Sunday poker run she rode with my cousin the rest of the day, got to the end of the run and heard all the horror stories, never got on the back again, it was great without her 😁 nag nag nah, she left me and and the kid's wanted to come back about 6 months later, nobody wanted her back, both kids said no to her right in front of me, it was classic, a longer story than that and even more, better stuff, it was like a real life soap opera, you can't make up. All I know is life is great without her 😁👍🥂 Oh one more thing, when I took a test drive on my rocket I felt a small wobble at 45 mph and after getting it home and on the road legal, I checked the tire pressure before going out, was I think 26 front and like 28 psi rear, felt a lot better after 36 and 42, also noticed he had a radial excedra on the back and a bias Metzler on the front, I was like that is weird. and he gave me a new replacement bias excedra for the front , I called Bridgestone to match a bias tire for the back, I couldn't find a listing for a bias in that size, and he didn't even want to talk to me, all he said was Bridgestone doesn't make a tire for the rocket, didn't think to ask why, but read in the group, they used to come with excedras max and they recalled then cause they were disintegrating from the inside out. So I sold the tire for $60, and bought 2 Metzler's me888 from the dealership, triumph manufacturing recommended the Metzler's and Avon Cobra's for the 08 r3t, tire's $500 for both and they wound up charging me $350 to install, after a $150 quote, go figure, all he said was it took him 2.5 hrs, I don't argue, I just won't go back there again. Had another problem ordering parts too, never got them, a couple heat shield bolts so wrote that off they said they refunded me? I'm totally down with them. I made the order for the relay's and wound up cancelling, got an email for the order today? Sent a reply no answer, so don't know if I'm totally done yet??? Have to look at the account, like $87 for 3 relay's??? I feel violated 😂😅😭 hahaha lol, have a good one GL and GB

Back