Zumo 550 GPS Mounting system

Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
I also wanted to add some pictures of my new motorcycle GPS unit. It was pretty easy to install and is rainproof (unlike my Garmin unit that I had on the trip to Nashville). It comes with a regular A/C charger, 12V charger, car mount set up, motorcycle mount set up and the ram mount so everything is there that you need to install it.

Pic 1: GPS mount with rain cover in place.
Pic 2: Rain cover uncapped showing contact area for unit to sit in.
Pic 3. Rain cover magnetically tucked away underneath the mount.

Garmin Zumo is a great product.

I love my Zumo 550. I used to have a Garmin Nuvi 350 but every once in a while the vibration would cause it to have problems. The beauty of the Zumo is that it's solid state, no moving parts. I have a Chatterbox mounted next to mine with the audio cable from the Zumo going to the Chatterbox. That way I can listen to music and navigation commands as well as talk to fellow riders. I think I will be making a small sun visor for mine as I have had some issues with glare on some trips.

I initially had a glare problem on mine, but then I loosened up the ram mount and adjusted the Zumo downward about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch and did not have a problem with glare anymore. My first instinct was to aim it more towards my face but there was too much glare. After that adjustment it was perfect the whole trip.

On the Nashville trip I was using my Garmin car unit with an unsatisfactory ram mount...almost lost the unit when I hit a real bad bump on the way to Hooters. That unit was the Street Pilot c550. The Zumo has all the same features but is waterproof and also has the motorcycle friendly functions that are nice to have.

The Zumo 550 mount is solid and I never worried about losing it at all.
Dennis

Dog,
What is the 3-switch gang next to your headlight switch?

What's it do? Where'd you get it?

How did you mount your chatterbox?

Hey Doglanta, I also have one of those screen visor shades, I did use it on my other Garmin last year on the Nashville trip. But, with the 550 I was able to tilt it just right and it was perfectly viewable for my entire trip last week without it.

I'm with Ratboy, what is that switch arrangement on your left handlebar? Does it work with your Chatterbox?
Dennis

Black Auxiliary Accessory Switch Housing Kit

Hey guys,
The switch is from Harley. I installed it a while back with the intention to use it with some additional lighting that I never have gotten around to doing yet. It looks like it was made for the R3 and I don't think there is a Harley logo anywhere on it. Here are the details:
Link Removed

Switch Housing
70248-02B
IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.
Left side
Fits '96-later models. Does not fit models equipped with large diameter handlebars or Tour-Pak® Mounted CD Changer P/N 77184-01. '04-later XL models require separate purchase of (2) Screw P/N 3832M.
For some reason no price is listed online however I think it may have been around $35-$45? I purchased it two years ago so I am not completely sure.

Then you will need the switches:
Auxiliary On/Off Switch Kit
71718-02
IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.
Fits Auxiliary Accessory Switch Housing Kits P/N 70255-02A, 70256-02, 70213-02B and 70248-02.
MSRP US $13.95

There were no problems installing it. I don't think I needed to modify anything in order to use it on the Rocket. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ken

The Chatterbox is mounted pretty much the same way as the Zumo, with RAM mounts. The Chatterbox has a plastic piece that normally gets attached to your helmet and then the Chatterbox unit slides onto it securing it to the helmet. I used the following Ram mount piece and glued and screwed it to the Chatterbox helmet piece which is attached to the Ram arm that is always on the bike. This way I can just slide the Chatterbox on and off the bike as if it were being used on a helmet without having to remove or even loosen the Ram arm from the handlebar each time. I hope that was not too confusing. If needed just let me know and I can take a couple of pictures tonight when I get home.

Last edited:
I love my Zumo 550. I used to have a Garmin Nuvi 350 but every once in a while the vibration would cause it to have problems. The beauty of the Zumo is that it's solid state, no moving parts. I have a Chatterbox mounted next to mine with the audio cable from the Zumo going to the Chatterbox. That way I can listen to music and navigation commands as well as talk to fellow riders. I think I will be making a small sun visor for mine as I have had some issues with glare on some trips.

A set or even 2 sets of my Flipmeisters Billet Aluminum Handlebar Clamps would look a heeluva lot more professional than your black electrical tape.......................:D

Thanks DOG!

I'm concerned with putting a Harley (I mean Chinese/Taiwanese) part on my Rocket, but not on the wife's Honda. teehee;)

I've been looking for an aux gang like that for some of the stuff on the wife's bike. I'd put it on mine, too.:D

Back