What is going on with the touring in CA?

... I should mention, all the heat that is NOT being born by the stator has to go somewhere ..
You have to be careful in comparing OEM vs new:
it's not like you 'move' heat somewhere else - the stator fundamentally generates less 'heat' because it is not running so much current that it would supplying into a shunt Regulator.
The heat dissipated by the R/R is because of the type of devices used in the Regulator - although the Series devices themselves will dissipate a bit more power than a MOSFET device, (and so will get a LITTLE bit warmer than the Shunt OEM device) it is still transferring much less current than the OEM Shunt, therefor is not a major problem.
Incidentally the Power MOSFETs I use in my KeyLess Ignition system are good for 30A continuous (each one) - I have tested these at close to 20A and they don't even get warm :D

(We should move any further discussion on Regulators to the thread linked above)

Last edited:
There seem to be some good deals on new leftover R3T’s out there. I’d check cycletrader and other motorcycle listings publications. If you have difficulty locating the bike you prefer, then contact American Triumph in Georgia. They’ll look in their system and tell you where the new bikes are for sale.

If you haven’t already contact Cycle Specialties in Modesto CA. tel:2095242955 Ask for Gale. They will do an inventory search for you if they don’t have one
Good morning,

I did contact them last week and I am still waiting for a call back.
Anyway I decided to buy the roadster instead of the touring.

I have a choice to buy a 2017 at a fairly discounted price or a 2018 at regular price.
My question is : is there a big difference between the model 2017 and 2018 worth to pay the regular price?

AFAIK, there is NO difference between 2017 and 2018, so selling one at a discount vs. the other I don't understand.

Are you sure the 2017 is being sold as new, with no miles ? Or, what has happened in some areas, the 2017 were being sold as artificially "used" to get around the dealer offering sales incentives.

AFAIK, there is NO difference between 2017 and 2018, so selling one at a discount vs. the other I don't understand.

Are you sure the 2017 is being sold as new, with no miles ? Or, what has happened in some areas, the 2017 were being sold as artificially "used" to get around the dealer offering sales incentives.
Yes both have 5 miles.
Does not make any sense, unless you as a dealer wants to get rid of all your R3 that you have in stock.
I plan to play the game of economics.

Phil

We're obviously straying off topic (there are several threads specific to the R/R subject on the forum) - just some clarifications on your own experience.
I've actually written extensively on the subject of failures on the V-Strom on those forums. Series Regulators for Enhanced Stator Reliability
First the actual replacement R/R we are talking about for the Rocket IS actually from a VStrom - however it is specific to the 2014+ DL1000A - it is indeed a Series Regulator. That model is a SH847
You mention replacing with a MOSFET - a MOSFET R/R is NOT a Series R/R, just that the Shunt devices are MOSFETs rather than SCR's.
The early recommended replacement module for the VStrom was a SH775 - I think you will find reading the linked thread above, I was the one who brought that to the VStrom community and a fellow called Greywolf was the first adopter to actually test it on a 650 VStrom.
Regarding 'cutting the OEM harness', a very inexpensive Triumph adapter harness (yes, a Triumph part :D) could be used to install the SH775
From that thread, the discussion turned to the new module used on the DL1000A (the SH847) - I believe I was the first one to actually procure one for use on anything other than that OEM application - that is still on my bike today (and the one I am recommending for the R3)

VIVA EL GURU!!!

Back