What is going on with the touring in CA?

Welcome 3Pattes, from Maine, They are around, just not as many as the Roadsters. Many have low miles, take your time, you'll find the ride of your dreams.

Hoopla
I cannot look too far away from CA because of the pollution regulation that every engine must have, even generator or pressure washer. It sucks but I am a law abiding citizen....

I bought a gently used 2009 with about 6,000 miles on it. They pop up every now and then on ebay and also on this forum. You're probably going to have to go out of town. Dulles Triumph has a nice black one for sale, or did, for about $11K
Hi Mike, hence my previous reply, CA is really strict about air pollution and the engine must be approved by CARB. I do not want to take the risk to buy a bike that will not be authorized in CA.

I believe if the bike is USED and has at least 7500 miles on the ODO, then you can bring in a non-CA emissions certified bike.

You may likely find that most of the late model bikes are already CARB equipped anyway (if it has a fuel vapour emissions canister behind left side-panel then it certainly has the appropriate equipment)
Some of the Touring owners may chip in but I think most of them have these, even in other States.

Incidentally there are no differences in Engine, Tune or exhaust - the only differentiator is for the Raw Fuel Emissions from the tank and as suggested, believe even that is more or less Universal at least in recent years.

Last edited:
You are going to have to look around for a '17 model. They are not making the touring for '18. There is also some rumbling the '18 Roadster is the last or the current Rocket design.
Hi,
Do you mean that the Touring will not be produce anymore?
Is Triumph working on restyling or redesigning the full line of Rocket?

I am willing to buy a Rocket but if the production is stopped I do not want to be a sitting duck with a beautiful bike and no service after all.

Philippe

I believe if the bike is USED and has at least 7500 miles on the ODO, then you can bring in a non-CA emissions certified bike.

You may likely find that most of the late model bikes are already CARB equipped anyway (if it has a fuel vapour emissions canister behind left side-panel then it certainly has the appropriate equipment)
Some of the Touring owners may chip in but I think most of them have these, even in other States.

Incidentally there are no differences in Engine, Tune or exhaust - the only differentiator is for the Raw Fuel Emissions from the tank and as suggested, believe even that is more or less Universal at least in recent years.

Thank you for the info.
I will check it out

Triumph is one of the few companies that is adept at holding info.

No one will confirm the Touring is done, because Triumph hasn't said. Same goes for the Roadster.

Until they straight up say it, it is all a guessing game.

Call Rosie's 1901 Triumph in Mobile Alabama 251-300-8286
They have a very nice, brand new, black Rocket touring.
I was in there at Christmas and I would be surprised if they have sold it.
Really nice folks.

Hi Mike, hence my previous reply, CA is really strict about air pollution and the engine must be approved by CARB. I do not want to take the risk to buy a bike that will not be authorized in CA.

The stock mufflers are CARB compliant and it is still a very torquey, powerful ride. I believe that Triumph's models are all state compliant. Anything with a CAT should be with California driving that truck.

If you wind up buying one with TORs, stock mufflers are readily available and easily swapped. However, the TORS for the Touring look exactly the same and with a nice low rumble, not like a Harley with Vans and Hines or a Roadster with the wild performance heads and mufflers. And even with stock mufflers, you can still use Tune ECU to download a custom tune that will have some worthwhile enhancements, like raising the speed restriction and lifting the secondaries.

I know some Rocket riders in California that kept their old exhausts to swap back if California ever came up with a test for bikes a few years ago when they were only visually and sound testing bikes. On that subject, does California now have an emissions test for bikes?

Back