What is going on with the touring in CA?

California would arrest me at the border...no cat, no vapor canister...and a tune that is generous with fuel.

Well John I'm not trying to convince you but I ride throughout California almost every year and I've never had an issue.

I've never seen an vapor canister but just did a quick web search and found information on three different sites, Victory, Ducatti and VStrom. And it appears I am incorrect, California apparently is the only state that requires them. What is interesting is that many guys either remove them all together or remove interior plates. One noted that there is not motorcycle test for them by CARB but some shops won't work on one it has been removed. If the canister is in place but gutted, it is not apparent unless the shop has to check the tune/mixture.

A question for the group. Has anyone seen a vape canister on a Rocket?

It lives under the left side cover on an R3T...I removed mine to make room for a Suzuki rectifier, which is a serial type plug compatible with the factory shunting type. It allows the stator to operate more cool and thus the the electrical system can be less stressed making for a longer lived stator. The evap can and system cause no troubles whatever and I could have kept it were there room.

Hello,

I live in California in the USA.
I am looking to buy a R3 Touring and I cannot find a dealer having one of this machine in their inventory.

My question is , Is Triumph not continuing this specific model?

What is going on with the Touring?
I had a tough time finding what I wanted when I wanted to purchase my R3T in 2009. I drove to several dealers within 200 miles of my house but they either had limited inventory or would not deal with me, price-wise.

A local dealer, coincidentally named Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego, didn’t have one but had wanted to start selling them. The owner gave me a smoking deal and ordered one from the UK. It arrived in a crate, they assembled it, then displayed it on their showroom floor for a week. The. It was mine with 1mile on the odometer.

I was a very happy camper.

I had a tough time finding what I wanted when I wanted to purchase my R3T in 2009. I drove to several dealers within 200 miles of my house but they either had limited inventory or would not deal with me, price-wise.

A local dealer, coincidentally named Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego, didn’t have one but had wanted to start selling them. The owner gave me a smoking deal and ordered one from the UK. It arrived in a crate, they assembled it, then displayed it on their showroom floor for a week. The. It was mine with 1mile on the odometer.

I was a very happy camper.
Hi,
I am really happy for you and yes some good dealers still exist, I just have to find mine...
ride safe, ride fast.

P

Most excellent news on getting your Rocket Dan. It sounds like a great dealership. I wonder how they found a bike in UK.

Rocketjohn, that is most interesting on the Suzuki rectifier and is a common problem with the stock Shindengen shunt-to-ground regulator/rectifier on VStroms, resulting in early burnout of the stator. I know from experience. The proper fix is to install an aftermarket series R/R. In 2015 when I was riding in the northern Yukon, we learned of 2 or 3 failures on bikes up there that summer. I didn't know it was an issue until mine burned up about a month or so of my return. CLOSE CALL. Replacing it with a MOSFET unit was a bit of a chore so I just used OEM parts. I did not want to go into the procedure of cutting into the loom and getting special connectors to install the series R/R.

So how did you install yours? I didn't realize it was an issue with our Rockets. What I did learn is that it is an issue with many makes, and not just the VStrom, begging the question as to why the manufacturers do this.

I cannot look too far away from CA because of the pollution regulation that every engine must have, even generator or pressure washer. It sucks but I am a law abiding citizen....

Look for a late model Touring. My 2013 had all the emissions stuff on it because I believe they did it to all of them, CA bound or not. If you find one that doesn't have the emissions stuff on it then it could be replaced. I have a full set of emission stuff in a box, I was riding one day and hit a bump and it just fell off, fell off I tell ya!!!

bob

Most excellent news on getting your Rocket Dan. It sounds like a great dealership. I wonder how they found a bike in UK.

Rocketjohn, that is most interesting on the Suzuki rectifier and is a common problem with the stock Shindengen shunt-to-ground regulator/rectifier on VStroms, resulting in early burnout of the stator. I know from experience. The proper fix is to install an aftermarket series R/R. In 2015 when I was riding in the northern Yukon, we learned of 2 or 3 failures on bikes up there that summer. I didn't know it was an issue until mine burned up about a month or so of my return. CLOSE CALL. Replacing it with a MOSFET unit was a bit of a chore so I just used OEM parts. I did not want to go into the procedure of cutting into the loom and getting special connectors to install the series R/R.

So how did you install yours? I didn't realize it was an issue with our Rockets. What I did learn is that it is an issue with many makes, and not just the VStrom, begging the question as to why the manufacturers do this.

There's a thread on here somewhere about it.....it's a Suzuki part and it's plug compatible, meaning you just plug and play. However it's just slightly bigger enough that it cannot go where the factory one goes. You have to remove the evap crap to make room, and fab a bracket....or use zip ties. @Joesmoe has done this mod too, and he may be able to locate the thread, and the pic that shows how to disconnect the evap system properly. It is totally transparent in operation but you know you are saving your stator, and possibly freeing up a few watts to run some things. I should mention, all the heat that is NOT being born by the stator has to go somewhere. The suzuki rectifier does get hot. But is supposed to, so it won't hurt it. Just be mindful of it, don't want to grab a handful of it after the bike has been running!

... Rocketjohn, that is most interesting on the Suzuki rectifier and is a common problem with the stock Shindengen shunt-to-ground regulator/rectifier on VStroms, resulting in early burnout of the stator. I know from experience. The proper fix is to install an aftermarket series R/R. ... Replacing it with a MOSFET unit was a bit of a chore so I just used OEM parts..
We're obviously straying off topic (there are several threads specific to the R/R subject on the forum) - just some clarifications on your own experience.
I've actually written extensively on the subject of failures on the V-Strom on those forums. Series Regulators for Enhanced Stator Reliability
First the actual replacement R/R we are talking about for the Rocket IS actually from a VStrom - however it is specific to the 2014+ DL1000A - it is indeed a Series Regulator. That model is a SH847
You mention replacing with a MOSFET - a MOSFET R/R is NOT a Series R/R, just that the Shunt devices are MOSFETs rather than SCR's.
The early recommended replacement module for the VStrom was a SH775 - I think you will find reading the linked thread above, I was the one who brought that to the VStrom community and a fellow called Greywolf was the first adopter to actually test it on a 650 VStrom.
Regarding 'cutting the OEM harness', a very inexpensive Triumph adapter harness (yes, a Triumph part :D) could be used to install the SH775
From that thread, the discussion turned to the new module used on the DL1000A (the SH847) - I believe I was the first one to actually procure one for use on anything other than that OEM application - that is still on my bike today (and the one I am recommending for the R3)

Back