Views on my 2020 GT a few months in

vmaxjude

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Hi all. Having owned my 2020 GT since May and covered about 2500 miles (including the NC500 tour of northern Scotland) I thought I would share my views on the bike. These come from someone who owned 1st Gen VMaxes for over 20 years.

Stuff I like:
  • Speed - the pickup from 2nd and 3rd at around 3K is insane (where max torque is I believe)
  • Comfort - I love the forward controls and find the stock seat very comfortable, although I am less keen on the rear lip of the seat pressing into the back of my arse
  • Noise - I used to have very loud pipes on my Maxes but I find the sound of the stock system on the GT loud enough with a pleasant rumble (I have finally grown up I suppose)
  • Instruments - fairly easy to use and read, with all the info you need
  • Headlights - superb for night riding
  • Handling - excellent for such a big heavy bike. You can really swing it round bends
  • Looks - not as in your face as my heavily modified Maxes but a very handsome bike which gets admiring glances (or are they just admiring me?)
  • Finish - seems robust so far, but plenty of polishing required to keep metal parts fresh
  • Dealer support - my local dealer (in Surrey, UK) has been very good so far. £278 for an annual service was not too bad but not exactly cheap. They did a very good job of doing a rear brake bleed and replacement of the ABS pipe under warranty at short notice even though the bike was actually out of warranty - I was due to go to Scotland and had no back brake
  • Factory accessories - I love the heated grips and the optional quick shifter (Triumph Shift Assist) is superb
  • Tyres - original Avons have plenty of tread left after 5800 miles. Good grip
Stuff I am less keen on:
  • Fuel consumption - not great but to be expected given the engine size and power/torque
  • Range - the tank is simply too small for a proper GT. A 200 mile range should be available but I struggle to get 150
  • Tank - a bit too wide, especially with the tank pads I have fitted
  • Joystick - too close to the indicators
  • Mirrors - can be a bit blurry at speed (I have the optional sport mirrors fitted)
  • Panniers - absolutely terrible. Small, flimsy, terrible locks. My locks jammed after getting filled with road crud on my Scotland tour. A zip also jammed. The dealer managed to free it but broke the zipper, which cannot be replaced. They changed it to a generic zipper which does not match the other 3 - it works but annoys me. The only solution is a new pannier. I blasted the crud out of the locks with a high pressure air line and lubed them, plus waxed the zips and they have been OK since. I contacted Triumph who said they have no plans to produce more robust panniers for the bike. The only option currently are Corbin but they are $3000 plus shipping to the UK
  • My Triumph bluetooth connectivity - very basic and only works with a limited range of phones
  • Downpipes on right hand side - get very hot in town and my textile trousers touched them in Scotland with a small portion melting, which has left an unsightly mark on the pipe
  • Weight - over 300kg wet so low speed manoeuvres need to be done carefully. A reverse gear would have been a nice option
  • Battery - runs flat if not connected to a trickle charger after only 7 days. I also had some starting issues which I cured by properly greasing the battery terminals. The bike also refused to start once using the remote in torrential rain in Scotland which was a real pain, but I got it started using the transmittter under the seat and it has been fine since
That's about it. Overall an excellent bike that I really enjoy riding and I think I'll be keeping it for a few years.

Stuff I am less keen on:
  • Fuel consumption - not great but to be expected given the engine size and power/torque. I used to squeeze 26km in 1 liter of gas on this bike, perhaps I am light weight thats why?
  • Range - the tank is simply too small for a proper GT. A 200 mile range should be available but I struggle to get 150, I got 250miles out of one fuel tank but I didnt have any weight or passenger so
  • Tank - a bit too wide, especially with the tank pads I have fitted. Tank pads are half a inch of rubber, so you added 1inch and having issues with wider tank?
  • Joystick - too close to the indicators Never heard that before, perhaps the gloves are too thick or thicker fingers
  • Mirrors - can be a bit blurry at speed (I have the optional sport mirrors fitted) At very high speed for me like 150km +
  • Panniers - absolutely terrible. Small, flimsy, terrible locks. My locks jammed after getting filled with road crud on my Scotland tour. A zip also jammed. The dealer managed to free it but broke the zipper, which cannot be replaced. They changed it to a generic zipper which does not match the other 3 - it works but annoys me. The only solution is a new pannier. I blasted the crud out of the locks with a high pressure air line and lubed them, plus waxed the zips and they have been OK since. I contacted Triumph who said they have no plans to produce more robust panniers for the bike. The only option currently are Corbin but they are $3000 plus shipping to the UK
  • My Triumph bluetooth connectivity - very basic and only works with a limited range of phones. less tech the better, will last forever else too much electronics, things keep breaking down
  • Downpipes on right hand side - get very hot in town and my textile trousers touched them in Scotland with a small portion melting, which has left an unsightly mark on the pipe. Do the exhaust mod and reduce heat by 50% on legs
  • Weight - over 300kg wet so low speed manoeuvres need to be done carefully. A reverse gear would have been a nice option loool 🤣😂 did you skip leg day at gym?
    • Battery - runs flat if not connected to a trickle charger after only 7 days. I also had some starting issues which I cured by properly greasing the battery terminals. The bike also refused to start once using the remote in torrential rain in Scotland which was a real pain, but I got it started using the transmittter under the seat and it has been fine since Something else is wrong or Battery is not good at all, Check the post for battery I did electronics measurement and battery drain calculation for rocket3R 2022 - Battery, Turn signals
  • That's about it. Overall an excellent bike that I really enjoy riding and I think I'll be keeping it for a few years.

Check my answers in bold.

Last edited:
Only one comment from me...

Your battery should not be running flat if not tendered after on 7 days. You may want to get that checked out. Sounds like you've got a bad connection somewhere bleeding power. I can leave mine for weeks (unintentionally of course) and it starts just fine; no tender.

Last edited:
Stuff I am less keen on:
  • Fuel consumption - not great but to be expected given the engine size and power/torque. I used to squeeze 26km in 1 liter of gas on this bike, perhaps I am light weight thats why?
  • Range - the tank is simply too small for a proper GT. A 200 mile range should be available but I struggle to get 150, I got 250miles out of one fuel tank but I didnt have any weight or passenger so
  • Tank - a bit too wide, especially with the tank pads I have fitted. Tank pads are half a inch of rubber, so you added 1inch and having issues with wider tank?
  • Joystick - too close to the indicators Never heard that before, perhaps the gloves are too thick or thicker fingers
  • Mirrors - can be a bit blurry at speed (I have the optional sport mirrors fitted) At very high speed for me like 200km +
  • My Triumph bluetooth connectivity - very basic and only works with a limited range of phones. less tech the better, will last forever else too much electronics, things keep breaking down
  • Downpipes on right hand side - get very hot in town and my textile trousers touched them in Scotland with a small portion melting, which has left an unsightly mark on the pipe. Do the exhaust mod and reduce heat by 50% on legs
  • Weight - over 300kg wet so low speed manoeuvres need to be done carefully. A reverse gear would have been a nice option loool 🤣😂 did you skip leg day at gym?
    • Battery - runs flat if not connected to a trickle charger after only 7 days. I also had some starting issues which I cured by properly greasing the battery terminals. The bike also refused to start once using the remote in torrential rain in Scotland which was a real pain, but I got it started using the transmittter under the seat and it has been fine since Something else is wrong or Battery is not good at all, Check the post for battery I did electronics measurement and battery drain calculation for rocket3R 2022 - Battery, Turn signals
  • That's about it. Overall an excellent bike that I really enjoy riding and I think I'll be keeping it for a few years.

Re leg day - no, I used to squat 180kg in my prime. I do not have weak legs - I just find the length and weight of bike a bit tricky for feet up low speed manoeuvres.

Only one comment from me...

Your battery should not be running flat in not tendered after on 7 days. You may want to get that checked out. Sound like you've got a bad connection somewhere bleeding power. I can leave mine for weeks (unintentionally of course) and it starts just fine; no tender.
Thanks, you could be right...

Stuff I am less keen on:
  • Mirrors - can be a bit blurry at speed (I have the optional sport mirrors fitted) At very high speed for me like 200km +

Btw what is the exhaust mod?

Btw what is the exhaust mod?
You cut this heat shield fiberglass sheet below in same shape as exhaust shield of rocket
image.png
and put in between exhaust heat shield and exhaust pipe
0a49fe87-10c1-46a8-b41c-c2ff5216a629_1.4eaa4378a6c2a06d85bd3ea1fa949af4.jpeg

Reduce heat on legs up to 60%

Remote starter is what probably kills your battery in 7 days, I installed one on my old style Rocket, hated it, I couldn't keep transponder in garage with bike, removed it and gave it away.

Hi all. Having owned my 2020 GT since May and covered about 2500 miles (including the NC500 tour of northern Scotland) I thought I would share my views on the bike. These come from someone who owned 1st Gen VMaxes for over 20 years.

Stuff I like:
  • Speed - the pickup from 2nd and 3rd at around 3K is insane (where max torque is I believe)
  • Comfort - I love the forward controls and find the stock seat very comfortable, although I am less keen on the rear lip of the seat pressing into the back of my arse
  • Noise - I used to have very loud pipes on my Maxes but I find the sound of the stock system on the GT loud enough with a pleasant rumble (I have finally grown up I suppose)
  • Instruments - fairly easy to use and read, with all the info you need
  • Headlights - superb for night riding
  • Handling - excellent for such a big heavy bike. You can really swing it round bends
  • Looks - not as in your face as my heavily modified Maxes but a very handsome bike which gets admiring glances (or are they just admiring me?)
  • Finish - seems robust so far, but plenty of polishing required to keep metal parts fresh
  • Dealer support - my local dealer (in Surrey, UK) has been very good so far. £278 for an annual service was not too bad but not exactly cheap. They did a very good job of doing a rear brake bleed and replacement of the ABS pipe under warranty at short notice even though the bike was actually out of warranty - I was due to go to Scotland and had no back brake
  • Factory accessories - I love the heated grips and the optional quick shifter (Triumph Shift Assist) is superb
  • Tyres - original Avons have plenty of tread left after 5800 miles. Good grip
Stuff I am less keen on:
  • Fuel consumption - not great but to be expected given the engine size and power/torque
  • Range - the tank is simply too small for a proper GT. A 200 mile range should be available but I struggle to get 150
  • Tank - a bit too wide, especially with the tank pads I have fitted
  • Joystick - too close to the indicators
  • Mirrors - can be a bit blurry at speed (I have the optional sport mirrors fitted)
  • My Triumph bluetooth connectivity - very basic and only works with a limited range of phones
  • Downpipes on right hand side - get very hot in town and my textile trousers touched them in Scotland with a small portion melting, which has left an unsightly mark on the pipe
  • Weight - over 300kg wet so low speed manoeuvres need to be done carefully. A reverse gear would have been a nice option
  • Battery - runs flat if not connected to a trickle charger after only 7 days. I also had some starting issues which I cured by properly greasing the battery terminals. The bike also refused to start once using the remote in torrential rain in Scotland which was a real pain, but I got it started using the transmittter under the seat and it has been fine since
That's about it. Overall an excellent bike that I really enjoy riding and I think I'll be keeping it for a few years.
We are all different and so our experiences - but your observations are good.

The joystick takes getting used to, that said dont think its too close.
Love my mirrors, little to no vibration even when going illegal.
I never like the look of the pannier and some owners was not over the moon so i never even considered getting. Same with Bluetooth - I use Cardo...
I get 155mile and don't really mind, I like taking a break every 2 hours- 36mpg
Tank width and shape is great, at least for me,. That said thick tank pad will change that.
Not had battery issues... your does not sound good. how old is the bike/battery?
Don't think weight is a problem with a low seat height, but that what you get buying the largest beast - handling is excellent.
The seat is very comfy, but not breathable so sweat easily
The Avons are awesome, getting to the edges and dragging pegs is easy.
Traction control and cornering ABS is very good and saved my butt a few times.

Last edited:
Remote starter is what probably kills your battery in 7 days, I installed one on my old style Rocket, hated it, I couldn't keep transponder in garage with bike, removed it and gave it away.
Good point.
@vmaxjude do you press the button on your key fob until it shows a red light when you park up your bike? .......If so, then next question, is your key fob stored anywhere near where you keep the bike?

Back