Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
I'm not sure if this should be in the newsroom or here so if it needs moved, so be it.

According to the American Motorcyclist, October 2007, Volume 61, Number 10:

"The Vision comes in two forms--the Street with a fairing and saddlebags starting at $18,999 and the Tour, with fairing, bags and a massive tail trunk, starting at $19,999."

Further:

"There are linked brakes, an onboard sound system and cruise control, plus add ons like a CD changer, CB/intercom or GPS, along with heated grips and seats. More? How about a high-intensity discharge (HID) driving light or a hookup that allows you to operate your iPod from the handlebars."

"The touring market has been a tough neighborhood in recent years, littered with the corpses of bikes that couldn't catch on against class leaders like Honda's Gold Wing or Harley's Electra Glide Classic.
In functional terms, the new Victory Vision appears to have the stuff to compete......"

From me:

The field gets tougher with each passing month and Triumph comes out with a half baked touring model of the Rocket.....Is Bloor sleeping?

18K and 19K for a dressed touring bike is a shot right in the paunch for Bloor and Company.

My thoughts exactly.. Triumph already makes the cruiser their coming out with, except for the hard bags. Shoot, the money they spent on the new wheels, new exhaust, and the single headlight could have went for the full fairing, electronic gizmos, and hard bags, and a trunk.

Maybe we need to look at this like Triumph does, their not in the business to sell motorcycles, they are just looking for ways to piss Flip off, thats all there is to it. The Vision may have the right stuff, but my guess is it's in the wrong wraper, a lot like the Rune is a great motorcycle, but the styling is too over the top. But like it or not the Vision is Victory's "Flagship" and its a lot harder to put the cat back in the bag after you let it out, we have to live with it.

Maybe we need to look at this like Triumph does, their not in the business to sell motorcycles, they are just looking for ways to piss Flip off, thats all there is to it. The Vision may have the right stuff, but my guess is it's in the wrong wraper, a lot like the Rune is a great motorcycle, but the styling is too over the top. But like it or not the Vision is Victory's "Flagship" and its a lot harder to put the cat back in the bag after you let it out, we have to live with it.

I'm not pissed off at all and that's not the point. The point is simply that the Vision's MSRP is a little higher than the R3 but lower than the HD and right in line with the Gold Wing. The Rune is a cruiser in stock form and ugly, I'll agree. The Rune and the Vision are two entirely different animals meant to appeal to two different groups of riders.

Triumph comes out with what they term a touring bike that's just a HD clone right down to the exhaust, hard bags and single (not the R3's trademark twin peeper setup) headlight and all the while Polaris is tooling up for a 'touring' bike. My hat is off to Polaris for taking what appears to be a giant step into the touring bike market.

I'll go out on a limb and predict Polaris will sell quite a few Visions. It's priced right, has all the gizmo's we American's want and desire and it's a made in America (even more so than HD) V twin. I've ridden Polaris before. I have a riding buddy that has a Kingpin. It's not a Rocket and it don't have the peculiar traits that R3's have either. With the exception of some re-mapping of the EFI early on. Victory's have had basically '0" problems unlike the Rocket.

The Vision is in keeping with Americans vision of having something better and more visually appealing that your neighbor. Besides, unlike Big Dogs and profiler bikes, the Vision can be ridden farther than the local sports bar.

Do I like it. Hell no but then It took me a while to warm up to the Rocket too. When the R3 first came out I thought it was butt ugly and to this day there are still aesthetic features I don't like but then the Studebaker Hawk wasn't the most beautiful car but today it's very desirable.

Motorcycles like automobiles are changing rapidly both in styling and mechanical function all for the benefit of the discriminating public.

Don't start bagging on Triumph yet the new Touring model hasn't even been released. We don't know price, accessories etc.

I wonder if the new Victory has a choke lever (or what they call a idle control lever) like all of the other fuel injected Victories.

Back