Rode a Victory Cross Country this afternoon...

Well, the saga, and search, continues for me. About 3 weeks ago I had my R3 into a dealer while on vacation. While there I had the opportunity to ride a BMW K1600RT. Inline 6, 160hp, 129 ft-lbs. of torque. All the touring goodies (except trunk, available as an option). A technological marvel. Very smooth, very capable, perhaps the "best" touring bike available today. But...still, something missing when coming off the Rocket. The R3 just has that instant connection between the throttle and rear wheel, torque is always there. And is just feels so SOLID, like a steel ingot, not molded plastic. By all objective standards the BMW is probably the better bike, and I do have a thing for sport tourers. But it just doesn't call to me like the R3. If anything the inline 6 is too smooth-it felt like an electric motor, not an engine.

Tonight I stopped by the HD dealership, who was kind enough to let me try a Street Glide Limited. My impression....a very...pleasant...bike. Engine was a great deal different than the Vic-it pulled smoothly from 1500RPM on up. Overall quite smooth at any RPM I rode it (in my short, supervised ride). And it didn't feel big, heavy or intimidating. Only real negative was the heal-toe shifter didn't leave any room for my size 13 boot. But that could be addressed. Overall though...no WOW factor. Engine was nice, "polite"...but no big rush of power or torque. Bike felt pretty light and easy to ride...but lacking that solid "steel ingot" feeling of substance of the R3. As far as features...nice, but lacking compared to say an Indian Roadmaster (no electric locking luggage, no heated seats, no pushbutton (but keyless) start, no quick release tourpack, no power windshield). Nice, pleasant, capable, sure...but no WOW factor. And it looks an awful lot like every Street Glide produced since about 1970...including the half dozen I passed between work and the dealer. No exclusivity. I hope to try out a Roadmaster soon-but am waiting for a HOT day-heat off the engine is the biggest complaint about it that I've seen. I spent quite a bit of time looking them over at m local dealer-I do have to say the features of the RM and the impression of quality are certainly there.

Still want to check out the Vaquero/Voyager as well as the new Venture.

I'm really starting to think that, for a guy on a budget that currently owns a R3R...the best thing to do for a capable touring bike might be quality bags, a MC Cruise control and a seat upgrade.

Last edited:
WELL OF COARSE YOU HAVEN'T, DUH

**** Yeah.jpg

Wasn't that Skip's bike before you got it? It probably broke because you washed it ;)
I did make it look good, then i pht the EB kit, lights, engine guards, phone holder, charger erc etc, he is a good person so i sold it back to him basically for the same i paid for it

The r3t has everything you are looking for with a good tune in it. My bone stock with a pro tune (factory pro racing in san rafael ca) generates 132 hp of smooth, fast, effortless power in every gear.

Well, the saga, and search, continues for me. About 3 weeks ago I had my R3 into a dealer while on vacation. While there I had the opportunity to ride a BMW K1600RT. Inline 6, 160hp, 129 ft-lbs. of torque. All the touring goodies (except trunk, available as an option). A technological marvel. Very smooth, very capable, perhaps the "best" touring bike available today. But...still, something missing when coming off the Rocket. The R3 just has that instant connection between the throttle and rear wheel, torque is always there. And is just feels so SOLID, like a steel ingot, not molded plastic. By all objective standards the BMW is probably the better bike, and I do have a thing for sport tourers. But it just doesn't call to me like the R3. If anything the inline 6 is too smooth-it felt like an electric motor, not an engine.

Tonight I stopped by the HD dealership, who was kind enough to let me try a Street Glide Limited. My impression....a very...pleasant...bike. Engine was a great deal different than the Vic-it pulled smoothly from 1500RPM on up. Overall quite smooth at any RPM I rode it (in my short, supervised ride). And it didn't feel big, heavy or intimidating. Only real negative was the heal-toe shifter didn't leave any room for my size 13 boot. But that could be addressed. Overall though...no WOW factor. Engine was nice, "polite"...but no big rush of power or torque. Bike felt pretty light and easy to ride...but lacking that solid "steel ingot" feeling of substance of the R3. As far as features...nice, but lacking compared to say an Indian Roadmaster (no electric locking luggage, no heated seats, no pushbutton (but keyless) start, no quick release tourpack, no power windshield). Nice, pleasant, capable, sure...but no WOW factor. And it looks an awful lot like every Street Glide produced since about 1970...including the half dozen I passed between work and the dealer. No exclusivity. I hope to try out a Roadmaster soon-but am waiting for a HOT day-heat off the engine is the biggest complaint about it that I've seen. I spent quite a bit of time looking them over at m local dealer-I do have to say the features of the RM and the impression of quality are certainly there.

Still want to check out the Vaquero/Voyager as well as the new Venture.

I'm really starting to think that, for a guy on a budget that currently owns a R3R...the best thing to do for a capable touring bike might be quality bags, a MC Cruise control and a seat upgrade.

I was given a K1600Rt as a loaner when my R3 was in the shop for a week.

I hated it at first but I soon learned to appreciate the bike For what it had to offer however I would never own one, for much of the same reasons that you stated.

I do hear a lot of complaints about the heat from the RoadMaster, although I notice the heat it certainly doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

Since the heat comes from the catalytic converter, it can be eliminated by installing a set of Freedom true duals exhaust.

Have you looked at the Trophy?

Don't part with the rocket you will miss it as I do miss mine, if it all possible try to find a way to have both

But then again I do miss my 2000 Indian Chief and to make matters worse my wife said "don't do it , don't sell it, you'll regret it"...

Attachments

• 555761_4223466948470_169197427_n.jpg
    555761_4223466948470_169197427_n.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
I have to say, I think the Rocket Roadster has ruined me. A couple weeks ago I went on a 4000 mile vacation on it. The trip had me thinking that a more touring oriented bike would be nice. Lockable hard bags, option for a trunk, cruise control, stereo. Well, my local dealer has a left over 16 CC, they let me take for a ride. My impression....the motor just didn't work. Little low end torque, though it does pull somewhat above 3k...but runs out of steam by 5k. Motor didn't like to lug down at all...in places at less than 2000 rpm, where the R3 just pulls smoothly in lower gears, it's "chug, chug"...acts like it wants to stall and is being lugged badly. No where near the low RPM torque I expected. The fairing didn't provide any better wind protection than the R3 windshield, and if anything the buffeting was worse. Fork stem is way forward, with bars that come back horizontally a long ways before kicking up-odd, but I could get used to it. Sound system was badly distorted at highway speeds. To me...the whole bike felt kind of "plasticy" and not nearly as solid and refined as the R3. Handling was nice though-very neutral (as good as the R3 with 140 Cobra and Excedra Max) and light. And I really do like the styling and the nice, big saddlebags.

I did look hard at the Indian Chieftain and Roadmaster, but didn't ride one. Might have to look a little more. The bags on those don't seem nearly as large as the Vics.

Sure hope Triumph comes out with a full-blown touring version with the next gen. I'm not sure I can accept a "lesser" bike :).
Agreed. Triumph needs to seriously regear this engine and put a real overdrive gear in there for fifth.

Back