TRIUMPH EXPLORER ANYONE OWN ONE

Here ya go :thumbsup:
A 245 profile for less sinking in the soft stuff. Higher sidewalls for better ground clearance. And all the traction you can ask for.
toyo-open-country-mt.jpg

:roll::roll::roll:

Only your kit & a few like you could turn that b/tch over!!!!! :eek:

Thinking about getting a Explorer 1200 xc, anybody have one? if so pro's and con's
So far I've done about 60k kms on my '12 launch model (bought off the showroom floor). Alaska twice, Mexico twice and this winter's trip to Colombia,SA (before the tree fell on me and ended that!).
IMHO:
Pros:
1)The powerplant!!! Closest thing to a ****** rocket I've ever owned. I can lift the front wheel in 1st and 2nd if I find a reason to haul a** from a stop, AND it gets good fuel consumption if I'm not haulin'.
2)The powerplant!!! Wanna pass? Just roll it on! Power is VERY linear. Exhaust note is suh-weet!

Cons:
1)Seat height and high weight of the engine. I'm 5'6" (and fit) so knew I'd have to modify the height when I bought it. I bought the 'low rider' factory seat, shaved another 1/2" from it (including rounding off those 'transformer' looking ridges that would bite my a** after an hour). Way better now - I did a 13 hour day coming back from AK. I also lowered the bike by making longer dogbones and raising the forks in the triple tree by 1/2". I find the handling is good but drop this bike over and look for help to get it up. I've only done it once, stopped at a gas station in Haines Jct, AK and guys were helping right away. Away from civilization, if it happened I'd have to empty the panniers, take any/all strapped bags off and spin it to get it sideways going uphill and MAYBE get it up, hemorrhoids guaranteed! A SERIOUS long distance traveler once told me: "No matter how light your bike is, at some point you'll wish it was lighter!" so it's a trade-off.
2) Steering head. I was often having to tighten it for excessive slack and NOT after rough use. I finally changed to All Balls bearings and it's way better. Did the same with my Gold Wing and I just don't understand why manufacturers put super-cheap ball bearings in the steering head. I'll PAY the extra $20 at purchase for tapered roller bearings.
3) Fork seals. I'm about to put the 3rd set in, and can't see ANY problems with the tubes. First set started leaking with relatively low kms in AK, 2nd set in Mexico on OTHER tube even though I'd replaced both seals first time. Dealer (motorcycle NOT drug) in Medellin in Dec. helped me with a quick fix to slow the flow.
4)The TPMS went dead exactly at the 4 year mark. Batteries are not replaceable and 2 new sensors cost $340 CDN and then the install $!!! Won't buy them again, will go aftermarket.
5)Erratic cruise control that dealer could not fix. At times it would go into limbo staying 4-6 kms below set point, with display flashing, but wouldn't try to catch up. At times it would briefly go well past set point but I think that is because the powerplant gets it up to speed so quickly.

Ain't a perfect bike (is there one?) but it's a GOOD to GREAT bike.

balance shaft bolt worked loose and locked the engine up.
result new crankcasses/new crank full engine rebuild,0ne missed holiday,
but the only good thing about it was,got rid of it and got the rocket,fingers crossed.

So far I've done about 60k kms on my '12 launch model (bought off the showroom floor). Alaska twice, Mexico twice and this winter's trip to Colombia,SA (before the tree fell on me and ended that!).
IMHO:
Pros:
1)The powerplant!!! Closest thing to a ****** rocket I've ever owned. I can lift the front wheel in 1st and 2nd if I find a reason to haul a** from a stop, AND it gets good fuel consumption if I'm not haulin'.
2)The powerplant!!! Wanna pass? Just roll it on! Power is VERY linear. Exhaust note is suh-weet!

Cons:
1)Seat height and high weight of the engine. I'm 5'6" (and fit) so knew I'd have to modify the height when I bought it. I bought the 'low rider' factory seat, shaved another 1/2" from it (including rounding off those 'transformer' looking ridges that would bite my a** after an hour). Way better now - I did a 13 hour day coming back from AK. I also lowered the bike by making longer dogbones and raising the forks in the triple tree by 1/2". I find the handling is good but drop this bike over and look for help to get it up. I've only done it once, stopped at a gas station in Haines Jct, AK and guys were helping right away. Away from civilization, if it happened I'd have to empty the panniers, take any/all strapped bags off and spin it to get it sideways going uphill and MAYBE get it up, hemorrhoids guaranteed! A SERIOUS long distance traveler once told me: "No matter how light your bike is, at some point you'll wish it was lighter!" so it's a trade-off.
2) Steering head. I was often having to tighten it for excessive slack and NOT after rough use. I finally changed to All Balls bearings and it's way better. Did the same with my Gold Wing and I just don't understand why manufacturers put super-cheap ball bearings in the steering head. I'll PAY the extra $20 at purchase for tapered roller bearings.
3) Fork seals. I'm about to put the 3rd set in, and can't see ANY problems with the tubes. First set started leaking with relatively low kms in AK, 2nd set in Mexico on OTHER tube even though I'd replaced both seals first time. Dealer (motorcycle NOT drug) in Medellin in Dec. helped me with a quick fix to slow the flow.
4)The TPMS went dead exactly at the 4 year mark. Batteries are not replaceable and 2 new sensors cost $340 CDN and then the install $!!! Won't buy them again, will go aftermarket.
5)Erratic cruise control that dealer could not fix. At times it would go into limbo staying 4-6 kms below set point, with display flashing, but wouldn't try to catch up. At times it would briefly go well past set point but I think that is because the powerplant gets it up to speed so quickly.

Ain't a perfect bike (is there one?) but it's a GOOD to GREAT bike.
Thank You great review I will be using the TPMS that is linked to my Garmin, I am 6ft so height is not an issue, I heard about the roller bearing mod and cruise/c will only be used to relieve the arthritic hands for short periods on longer riders

balance shaft bolt worked loose and locked the engine up.
result new crankcasses/new crank full engine rebuild,0ne missed holiday,
but the only good thing about it was,got rid of it and got the rocket,fingers crossed.
That can happen in any motor of any brand or model, that's what i would call unfortunate bad luck

Back