Triumph Daytona 675 WINS...

Almeira

Jamie, where did you get your info on the big bike comparison at Almeira? Our local mag AMCN normally features it over two issues every year and I was expecting the first report to appear in the last issue which hit the newstands last Wednesday. Have you got a website you can direct me to? Thank mate, Davo

Twelve mags I said, didn't I? Weeklies for the most part. The one I quoted is Moto-Revue, a french weekly. If I have not pitched it yet, I'll try to find out which other 11 mags took part and let you know. Or, better yet, air mail it to you (lap times and score cards don't need no translation)? Best

Jamie
Triumph Rocket III

I had NOT pitched it (posting from home now!). The article lists the name of the journalists... but not that of the mags they work (?) for. So the offer to air mail Moto Revue stands, mon cher Davo, if you fancy receiving it, that is. Please let me know. Best. Jamie

-Triumph Rocket III-

Jamie said:
... the 600 cc-class comparo organized by 12 motorcycle mags world-wide (under the SWA, Supertest World Association, banner) on the Almeira track in Spain (average lap times of all test riders shown between parentheses):
  • 1st: Triumph D675 (1'52''07)
  • 2nd: Yam YFZ 600 R6 (1'52'' 36)
  • 3rd: Suz GSX-R 600 (1'52''81)
  • 4th: Honda CBR 600 RR (1'53''40)
Triumph power dyno-measured @ 116.1 HP, close to that of the Yam @ 116.8, but lagging the Kawa @ 124.8.

Apart from the quickest lap times, the D675 ultimately won thanks to its "most homogenous chassis" and its "exemplary power delivery, right from mid-rpm's" .;)

Is that all?

NO!

The SWA was running a simultaneous 1000 cc-class comparo, you see. And when all the results of both classes were tallied the D675 emerged THIRD BEST 2006 SPORT BIKE , after the Kawa ZX-10R and the Honda CBR 1000 RR. No "subjective" stuff, mind you: the fourth overall is the allmighty Suzuki GSX-R 1000, with a slower lap time average than that of the D675 (1'52''27 versus "1'52''07 for the D675!!!) :D

And I own one! :cool:

Best. Jamie
(Triumph Rocket III)

ID like to see how it fairs against a GSXR 750. at 675 its got 75cc's over the other bikes, i wonder how it would do with 75 less?

VioTater said:
how it fairs against a GSXR 750. at 675 its got 75cc's over the other bikes, i wonder how it would do with 75 less?

Good question. Same comparo and everything: The Suz' GSX-R 750 finished fifth :rolleyes: overall @ 1'52''29.

As to Davo's question: I have not yet identified the SWA membership. But mags from the following countries were represented: Switz., Japan, Greece, Germany, France, USA, Italy, UK, Spain, Portugal, Brazil and Luxembourg (=12). None from Australia, am afraid. Earlier offer stands

Jamie

-Triumph Rocket III-

Good Gawd, I'm gonna have to buy one of these blasted things, aren't I? I'm an old fat man, I just couldn't look good on one of those... I look like a circus bear on the Rocket... it just wouldn't be right...

That is a hot looking bike though

That is such a great picture.... Courtesy of Cornelis from TRat Rocket Science

Last edited:
Tomo, don't know if you know but old RocketlessTodd has just picked up his D675 to keep his Rocket and antique Guzzi company. He's 6 foot something so you should be able to ride. Hey wouldn't it be funny... an old farts club all riding D675's!!!

And yep, that is a great picture. Sorry Jamie, mine will definately be the gold one! Davo

PS Thanks for the offer Jamie but I'll wait until the UK or USA mags hit our newstands. My French is not good enough to read beyond the stats tables!

Last edited:
But Davo..... I'm 6 feet around.... I do miss my old Speed Triple, and for what the D675 is thats not a bad price... is it. At this stage of the game it might be hard to find one.... I like that Scrambler too, its probably more my speed :D

Back