Transmission Case

The damage was caused by the bike sliding on her left side at around 45-55 mph. Not really sure why we went down; it was a familiar curve that I've taken at higher speeds.

Looking at the pic's I would mill the surface flat and billet the selector shaft casing. You could make it clamp in the hole and if you square out the hole make it locate. Build it better than it was and make it a feature.

The damage was caused by the bike sliding on her left side at around 45-55 mph. Not really sure why we went down; it was a familiar curve that I've taken at higher speeds.

Ouuch!! hope you are OK..

Who do you know that is a brilliant and talented Alloy welder to do it in place ?

Many years ago in the UK there was aCompany that Metal Stiched Cast steel Engine cases, water gallery splits after frost and freeze damage..

Not sure if Alloy could be done that way but it was brilliant when finished and lasted the life of the motor.. looked like a scar after surgery :D

My passenger is banged up a bit (torn ligament in her knee and a broken ankle.) I should have mentioned her sooner, but I've been busy making sure she has everything she needs. She's in good spirits and hopes that my bike is fixed by the time she's healed up enough to ride.
I just thank God we were both wearing our gear. I'd rather have a scuffed up jacket than a scuffed up torso.
Thank you all for the suggestions and well-wishes. It truly means a lot to me! I'll let you guys know how it all turns out, and what I do to fix it. It'll probably be awhile, so please bare with me.

This is probably a silly question, but do you guys know if an engine from an earlier year will bolt up to my 2011? I've found a few complete engines for sale, but they're from '05 and '07 Touring models.

This is probably a silly question, but do you guys know if an engine from an earlier year will bolt up to my 2011? I've found a few complete engines for sale, but they're from '05 and '07 Touring models.

I'm thinking the only difference would be that they are probably silver. I've heard they beefed up the drive train on the Roadster so I don't know if the output shaft would fit the newer drive shaft.

I am a heliarc welder and have welded several motorcycle cases but the problem is always that the oil soaks into the metal and it is very to get it clean enough to make a good weld. However it can be done if you take the correct steps, but in your case you also need to get perfect alignment on the shift shaft exit that holds the seal and you would have to pull the case apart to do it anyway so why not just get a new case. I know it will be expensive but I can’t see how a new or used engine would be less. Plus at least you know what you have and if you buy a used engine you could have real problems. All of this assumes that you have a low mileage good engine.
Trapper

Back