Grabbing a bit too much front break

Grabbed a little too much this AM; terrible screach of a skidding front
tire. It was a stale green light on the down side of a railroad overpass.
Doing about 30 mph, light just flipped green to red, sure I never saw
any yellow. Skidded one bike length into the intersection, Ok though.

I hate it when that happens.

Cheers,

Roy

I'd say, "Good control R-Roy". Controlling a "locked front wheel" bike for any distance is a real challenge.

Now, set 'er straight & let it "Rock".

Glad you were able to keep the bars straight. I skidded about 20 feet a couple of weeks ago after hitting a sandy patch in the street in front of my house. I was lucky enough to keep it upright. It took a while to remove the seat from my puckered ass.

Sometimes, with all the weight, the Rocket doesn't stop too gracefully. It has great brakes, but there is a learning curve on how to handle the thing and bring it down nicely, isn't there.

Every once in awhile I'll get in a situation like you describe and will be a little awkward bringing it to a stop. I've learned to always make full stops, no drifting through stop signs with this bike, it doesn't like panic stops...:eek:

All my empathy RenegadeBoy. And, hopefully without reading patronizing, let me tell you one way to AVOID such incidents: Always think of the Rocket front brake lever as a ONE FINGER operation. Best. Jamie

All my empathy RenegadeBoy. And, hopefully without reading patronizing, let me tell you one way to AVOID such incidents: Always think of the Rocket front brake lever as a ONE FINGER operation. Best. Jamie

I agree, Jamie. I usually use one finger on the R3. I was riding my son's old shadow the other day and it felt like it had no brakes at all. Had to grab that handle with 4 fingers and squeeze hard. The Rocket will spoil you, thats for sure!

In that situation, I usually accelerate hard through the light, but great job handling the beast with a locked front wheel!.. :)

I have to say, I dropped my Rocket the other day in a left turn almost at a stand still. It was a rural area, so no danger
of traffic. As I let it fall, it was like slow motion. All I could do was think "Why aren't you doing anything?! GO!".. lol
But, it got past the point of no return and I laid it gently over. I was on a slight incline and try as I might, I could not
get the Rocket back up. I would get it about half way, and then have to sit her down. Luckily a couple of guys came by
and helped me pick her back up. Ended up with no damage what so ever! Even the Corbin bags never touched. Awful
embarassing though.. :)

Last edited:
Glad to hear that your baby is okay.... oh yeah you, too.:)

At BikeWeek a few years back Honda was doing a demo with a GoldWing.

The bike was sitting on the right side...the guy got some of the burliest guys standing around to try and pick up the bike. They couldn't do it.

The announcer grabs a little lady, maybe 100#s soaking wet, out of the audience.

She dropped the kickstand and walked around the right side...
Grabbed the right grip and the seat pan with her back to the bike...
And up it came... amazed all of us.

I didn't think she could do it either... Amazed me...

Lifted it with her legs not her arms and back...

Sometimes, with all the weight, the Rocket doesn't stop too gracefully. It has great brakes, but there is a learning curve on how to handle the thing and bring it down nicely, isn't there.

Every once in awhile I'll get in a situation like you describe and will be a little awkward bringing it to a stop. I've learned to always make full stops, no drifting through stop signs with this bike, it doesn't like panic stops...:eek:

Tomo:

It is possible to modulate the brakes to the point of tire howl but it takes a little practice, especially with the front. I did it last year on the interstate on a short downhill exit that I took way too fast. I'd imagine a set of Gold Line Brembo's instead of the Nissins would be more forgiving but also more expensive. As they are, the brakes are very good. It's always good to practice threshold braking in any vehicle for when you need it for emergency stops or evasive maneuvers that will surely happen.

Back